Death metal / black metal

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

chris harris
speech impediment
Posts: 4270
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:31 pm
Location: Norman, OK
Contact:

Post by chris harris » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:26 am

I share your opinion of the article, Chris.

User avatar
trodden
on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 5242
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 8:21 am
Location: C-attle
Contact:

Post by trodden » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:27 am

cgarges wrote:
;ivlunsdystf wrote:What didn't you like? etc. So we can discuss something besides how you vaguely generally hated it.
It was poorly written and clearly not edited appropriately. There were grammatical errors and contradictions all over the place. That's what was technically wrong with it. Beyond that (and this is just personal preference), it was filled with ridiculous statements that anyone who's made recordings professionally within a number of generes for any kind of considerable period of time would find laughable. Couple that with this air of authority that the author has placed upon himself and it adds up to an article that I think sucks. Again, that's my personal opinion, but the poor authorship in terms of literary blunders is not.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
hahha totally. When i saw the article mentioned on the cover i though ... "no way.. wow, awesome..." then read it and just laughed the whole time...

User avatar
Recycled_Brains
deaf.
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:58 pm
Location: Albany, NY
Contact:

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:42 am

trodden wrote:
cgarges wrote:
;ivlunsdystf wrote:What didn't you like? etc. So we can discuss something besides how you vaguely generally hated it.
It was poorly written and clearly not edited appropriately. There were grammatical errors and contradictions all over the place. That's what was technically wrong with it. Beyond that (and this is just personal preference), it was filled with ridiculous statements that anyone who's made recordings professionally within a number of generes for any kind of considerable period of time would find laughable. Couple that with this air of authority that the author has placed upon himself and it adds up to an article that I think sucks. Again, that's my personal opinion, but the poor authorship in terms of literary blunders is not.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
hahha totally. When i saw the article mentioned on the cover i though ... "no way.. wow, awesome..." then read it and just laughed the whole time...
+2

Very disappointed by that article. I've recorded quite a bit of DM, and got excited to learn some new tricks, but instead just got a little pissed, and learned nothing at all.

I'd like to see more articles focusing on heavy music in TO personally, but not like that one. There are some really great engineers recording brutal shit these days.

For example.... Kurt Ballou, of Converge fame, is doing some really cool recordings at his God City Studios that are worth attention. Not your typical sounding heavy records either. That'd be an article I'd like to read.

Or even Andy Sneap. I know he does the more modern sound, but he does it really fucking well.

Anyways... I still love you TapeOp.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

User avatar
Recycled_Brains
deaf.
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:58 pm
Location: Albany, NY
Contact:

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:50 am

I'd also like to add, that it is really cool to see people on here talking about bands like Entombed, Napalm Death, and Carcass.

There's an epic thread here about recording "Heartwork" and some earlier Carcass stuff, straight from the engineer's recollections. (starts on page 2)

Amazing stuff.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

User avatar
johnnydove
pushin' record
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:01 pm
Location: woodridge, IL

Post by johnnydove » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:25 am

wow, that was a GREAT read, thanks for posting the link!
-johnny

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 653
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: SF

Post by Bro Shark » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:49 am

Agree. Great read. Although I think "Heartwork" is boring and I'm guessing almost anything Colin Richardson did after Carcass would make me nauseous.

A National Acrobat
gettin' sounds
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:53 pm

Post by A National Acrobat » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:08 am

I definitely wasn't offended by anything in it since, you know, it was an 'opinion' article and a very short one.

I wish more bands took Coffins' approach to recording but alas, most of them are cookie cutter, mall metal or some gross offspring of it and want to sound as 'in your face' as possible. The point of the short article was just some basic 101 on modern metal for engineers who don't get the greatest bands but enjoy making clients happy, letting them hear what they want to hear and as a result, getting repeat business. It's not a engineering model or anything.

If you happen to get a great band that doesn't need to do all the things he mentions, well...lucky you.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin
Posts: 1615
Joined: Thu May 01, 2003 11:50 am
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks. I'm glad someone saw it the same way I did. Now if someone would just use all those tips and record a jazz combo...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

User avatar
Brett Siler
resurrected
Posts: 2498
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:16 pm
Location: Evansville, IN
Contact:

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:10 pm

A National Acrobat wrote:I definitely wasn't offended by anything in it since, you know, it was an 'opinion' article and a very short one.

I wish more bands took Coffins' approach to recording but alas, most of them are cookie cutter, mall metal or some gross offspring of it and want to sound as 'in your face' as possible. The point of the short article was just some basic 101 on modern metal for engineers who don't get the greatest bands but enjoy making clients happy, letting them hear what they want to hear and as a result, getting repeat business. It's not a engineering model or anything.

If you happen to get a great band that doesn't need to do all the things he mentions, well...lucky you.
agreed

User avatar
trodden
on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 5242
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 8:21 am
Location: C-attle
Contact:

Post by trodden » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:51 am

InvalidInk wrote:
A National Acrobat wrote:I definitely wasn't offended by anything in it since, you know, it was an 'opinion' article and a very short one.

I wish more bands took Coffins' approach to recording but alas, most of them are cookie cutter, mall metal or some gross offspring of it and want to sound as 'in your face' as possible. The point of the short article was just some basic 101 on modern metal for engineers who don't get the greatest bands but enjoy making clients happy, letting them hear what they want to hear and as a result, getting repeat business. It's not a engineering model or anything.

If you happen to get a great band that doesn't need to do all the things he mentions, well...lucky you.
agreed
good points indeed.

i love it when I get to put 808 hits on metal and doom records... i'm sure some people would have an different opinion on that...

User avatar
trodden
on a wing and a prayer
Posts: 5242
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 8:21 am
Location: C-attle
Contact:

Post by trodden » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:33 pm

and today... did the autotune abuse effect thing (like cher, and all the hip hop and top forty stuff on the radio today) on a vocal track for a doom band... vocalist wanted to do two mixes one with that and one without.. she kept referring to it as the "lil Wayne" effect. it was truly awesome... never had done that before.

JakeH
audio school
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:02 am

Post by JakeH » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:53 am

johnnydove wrote:wow, that was a GREAT read, thanks for posting the link!
ditto

User avatar
vtone
audio school
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:41 am

Post by vtone » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:54 pm

I loved the article.

The only thing I disagreed with was the statement that there are no keyboards in real death or black metal. If you took out the words "or black" it would be true (for all intensive purposes). But anyone who listens to black metal knows that all the "tr00" black metal bands were down with keyboards-- Burzum and Emperor being the most obvious examples.

I've been trying to get that Andy Sneap polish happening for quite some time now (more as an experiment than anything else). I found the article very helpful.

This is a very different style of music so, by its nature, it demands a radical approach to engineering if you strive for clarity.

It seemed like the article was aimed at the average Tape Op reader who probably does not listen to extreme metal. The people that hate on the article seem to be:

1. People who think metal is stupid in the first place.
2. Metalheads who thought it was too simplistic or obvious.
3. "Purists" who are opposed to triggers, samples, etc.

Whatever.

I can't tell you how refreshing it was to see the article in Tape Op. And I never thought I'd see Ulver's "Nattans Madrigal" mentioned on this forum! I commend them for running the article and I hope to see more extreme music covered in the magazine.

One thing I thought was funny was that, despite all the typos I've seen in the mag over the years, they corrected the spelling of "kvlt"!!!

DP

orion studio rotherham
audio school
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:56 am
Contact:

Post by orion studio rotherham » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:20 pm

Also, I can watch Nicholas Barker

I engineered Nick a month ago in Doncaster - he was playing in an AC/DC cover band

mcsquishytooshy
gettin' sounds
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:32 pm
Location: Bodymore, Murdaland

Post by mcsquishytooshy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:28 am

LOLZ AC/DC COVER BAND.

I've been going crazy with guitar pedals after getting a Heavy Metal pedal (for that no-brainer Sunlight Studio sound) for $45. The DOD Grind pedal logo looks exactly like the Earache records font.

Trodden, did you like the Auto-Tune effect like Cynic does their sung vocals?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest