"From The Archives" getting a bit excessive

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

DevlinC
audio school

"From The Archives" getting a bit excessive

Post by DevlinC » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:07 am

Hi everyone. First time poster, long time reader blahblahblah.

Felt compelled to make a comment on this as I've noticed a slightly irksome trend in the most recent issues. Been a subscriber since issue 65. Up to and including issue 68, the mag was practically entirely new content, with 1 or 0 "From The Archives" interviews. In 69 there were 2. In 70 & 71, 3. The last issue had 4 archive interviews - more archive interviews than new ones!

Now, I grant you that sometimes these are reprinted for good reason - the Les Paul one in issue 72 is obviously highly appropriate. Plus for those of us who haven't been subscribed long, it's still an informative and enjoyable read. I also recognise that it's not always possible to get sound engineers of enough repute to be worth interviewing to actually do one in amongst all their actual work. That being said, now that I have to pay for my subscription (EU customer), filling new issues with old content to this extent does make me feel a little short-changed.

By no means am I threatening to cancel my subscription (I expect if I did, I would be met with a hearty "later asshole", and rightly so). The value of TapeOp to me is that one little trick per issue that expands my knowledge - the variation on the Glyn Johns microphone technique in issue 66, or indeed the SM-57 mod in the latest - and that's been worth its weight in gold so far. Just a little thing I noticed and felt the need to bring up. I hope my comments are taken in the spirit they are intended.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:37 am

agreed, i get the free sub in the uk and the archive articles have been climbing steadily!

i also sometimes hear about artciles in the us version which didn't seem to be in the euro version, which makes me feel like i'm missing out!

i can't complain because it's such an excellent mag, AND IT'S FREE!!! but it would be nice if the euro version included all the relevant content of the us one.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:37 am

The archive articles are reprinted in the UK/EU editions as there have been less ads sold in the UK edition than the US edition, so more open pages exist. Otherwise we'd be generating content for the UK edition that there wasn't room for in the US edition - the opposite of what you believe is going on.

There may have been a couple of early edition in the UK in which an article was dropped from the US edition in order to strengthen the UK version. Lately we have not done this at all, so do not fear.

I've got to say it's a bit odd to get complaints about this, as we could easily be printing a very thin issue instead of providing readers with a bigger mag and articles they might not have seen before and making the issues bigger.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:44 pm

Aw. I have to say I love the magazine. Keep up the good work!

TapeOpAl
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAl » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:04 pm

To reiterate what Larry said the From The Archives articles are extra to the US edition content. Have a look at the front page of the website and you'll see the US cover with less articles listed down the side. We're absolutely not running these articles in place of any new stuff.

I think only once has the US and UK/EU content been different and I think we swapped round the issues that a particular article ran in so it was the next issue or something. I have a feeling we may have brought forward a US article so the UK/EU mag got it first. To my knowledge/memory we have never totally removed an article from the UK/EU edition.

So don't worry folks, you're getting more than the US readers (I hope this doesn't get them jealous now!) If it makes you happy, once we run out of archive content everything'll be back to normal and you won't have all these extra cool articles to read :wink:

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:36 pm

TapeOpAl wrote:
So don't worry folks, you're getting more than the US readers
Hey, what the fuck??!??

(just kidding. somebody had to.) :wink:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

DevlinC
audio school

Post by DevlinC » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:13 am

I was unaware that the content differed from the US version, thought it was just the advertisements (and even then, some of the ads have US numbers on them, so there didn't seem to be that much difference). I stand corrected.

rocky
alignin' 24-trk

Post by rocky » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:34 pm

If you've got a Mark Trombino article, which I think you do,
could you do a from the archives on it soon?

Would love to read it!

TapeOpAl
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAl » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:49 am

rocky wrote:If you've got a Mark Trombino article, which I think you do,
could you do a from the archives on it soon?

Would love to read it!
ROCKY! Hope you're well my friend. I'll get someone to dig it out and if it's not something we can run for some reason I'll email it to you!