questions for Ben Allen / Animal Collective interview?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

questions for Ben Allen / Animal Collective interview?

Post by Tragabigzanda » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:06 am

I'll be hooking up with Ben Allen (Gnarls Barkley, Animal Collective, P. Diddy) for an upcoming interview; it'll be during an Animal Collective session, so I'm hoping to do a sidebar with them, too. Any questions you'd like me to ask?
Alex C. McKenzie

DMZ2000
alignin' 24-trk

Post by DMZ2000 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:02 pm

Questions for Ben Allen:

When tracking the latest Animal Collective album at Oxford MS's Sweat Tea studios, besides musical instruments did you use only the studios tracking gear, or did you and the band bring in any 'secret weapons'?

Also, besides isolation and seclusion were there any other specific reasons for choosing Sweat Tea studios?

rpmsongs
gettin' sounds

Post by rpmsongs » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:42 pm

Ben, (can i call you ben?), why haven't you asked ryan mcdougall to clean your toilets and sweep the floors for you yet? I hear he'd love to

Black Shadow
audio school

Post by Black Shadow » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:57 am

If this topic is still relevant (I fear not), could you ask Animal Collective's Noah Lennox how they recorded his vocals on Panda Bear's "Person Pitch" and AC's "Merriweather Post Pavillion" respectively?

Also, what reverb unit did he use on "Person Pitch"?

Billy Bennett
audio school

Post by Billy Bennett » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:44 pm

To my knowledge, Ben only mixed the most recent Animal Collective record at Chase Park Transduciton in Athens, GA, and did not do the tracking with the band pre-mixing so he may not be able to answer the questions about Sweet Tea. if that helps...
When you don't want the want you want the wanting.

recall
alignin' 24-trk

Post by recall » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:22 am

Questions about Puffy and the whole Bad Boy Records camp and its impact on his engineering would be great.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:47 am

Hey! Article has already been submitted to Larry; not sure when it'll run. There's definitely some Puffy/Bad Boy stuff. There's a little bit of AC stuff, but not a ton...
Alex C. McKenzie

recall
alignin' 24-trk

Post by recall » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:00 am

Just reading the Ben Allen interview and he mentions small Altec speakers. Anyone know which ones he is talking about? I'm looking for something for that purpose and love his work.

benjitheblender
audio school graduate

Altecs

Post by benjitheblender » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:27 pm

Hey buddy. Here they are...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... 8wIwCTgU#p

Cheap and unfortunately discontinued, but any small computer speaker would probably do. I only use them because they were the cheapest ones I could find at B+H the day of a mix session. Now I can't live without them!

b

recall
alignin' 24-trk

Post by recall » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:40 pm

Hi Ben,
Thanks for getting back to me. They look fairly similar to a pair of Harmon-Kardon/Dell speakers which came with an old PC I had a few years ago. That's what I am using now, but as ever was on the lookout for something different.

Thanks,
Iwan

myleftfoot
ass engineer

Post by myleftfoot » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:09 am

Someone should do a Noah Lennox interview! I'm surprised there hasn't been one already.