Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Letters to Tape Op?

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:06 pm

Hey friends!
For some reason we're getting a lot less letters to the magazine these days. What gives? Do you hate us? We're lonely. We're worried that the letters section of the mag might atrophy and fall off. That'd be a shame. If you have any questions you'd like to see passed around to our panel of "experts" or something you feel needs a snarky, nasty response from Larry, then please drop us a line! Thanks!

http://www.tapeop.com/email/crane.html
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:24 pm

Maybe you shouldn't have such a righteous messageboard if you want more people to personally send you questions.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:07 pm

I've wondered about the effects the message board has on the letters section! I know it's nice to get quicker feedback than waiting 3 months or something.
www.larry-crane.com

cale w
gettin' sounds

Post by cale w » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:00 pm

Maybe if you don't have enough interesting letters to run, you could print a "Best of the TOMB Topics" after the letters or somethin'.

I was reading the letters in the recent issue just the other day and thinking, these cats should just be posting to the TOMB...

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:57 pm

I always thought that when some other recording mag was doing that that it was cheesy. I'm not sure why, just seemed like the info was already out there and that picking it off a forum wasn't generating new content!
www.larry-crane.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:29 pm

I've always been kind of amazed that TOMag generally has something like 4 pages of letters, generally because there are sometimes responses from 5 or 6 engineers after each letter. It's much more extensive than most other magazines. So I'm kind of intrigued that this is a problem.

BTW, really enjoying the Bruce Botnick interview. Great stuff.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

norsehorse
gettin' sounds

Post by norsehorse » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:29 pm

TapeOp is a magazine?! :shock:

Just kidding. I knew that, but the board here has been my only exposure to the TapeOP world. So I guess it's time I subscribe.

Just wanted to point out that the "Do you keep TapeOp magazines indefinitely?" is out-of-place on a survey for people looking to start a subscription. I haven't been sent a magazine yet - how am I supposed to know whether I keep them or not?!?!? I guess I'll check No for now...

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:55 pm

Maybe you should put a more direct request for letters right in the magazine, with a clear address. As someone once pointed out to me, a lot of good musicians don't use the internet.

I kinda always assumed that you got a ton of letters and me sending a letter to you would be like pissing into the wind.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

ElMosca
pluggin' in mics

Post by ElMosca » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:13 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:I always thought that when some other recording mag was doing that that it was cheesy. I'm not sure why, just seemed like the info was already out there and that picking it off a forum wasn't generating new content!
Fair enough, but some people (such as myself) don't frequent the TOMB as consistently as I read the actual magazine.

Maybe flagging when a question/answer in the letter section comes from the TOMB will actually increase usage of the message boards. It may spark people to think: "well, if my question is smart enough, it may make it onto the print version."

Just throwing out my 2cents.
++aldo

p.s. great issue by the way. I'm down to Bruce Botnick (yes, I read it in strict page order. Lasts longer that way).

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:10 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:I always thought that when some other recording mag was doing that that it was cheesy. I'm not sure why, just seemed like the info was already out there and that picking it off a forum wasn't generating new content!
Cheesey they way they do it, what would be cool would be to pick a good tomb thread and sumerize it. Maybe get some industry ppl to wade in on the rights and wrongs (or maybes?) Provide a link so you can read the whole thread, but do a good article on the final outcome of the thread.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity