Oz Fritz interview

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Oz Fritz interview

Post by NewAndImprov » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:31 pm

Just wanted to drop a line about how enjoyable and inspirational it was to read the interview with Oz Fritz. That guy has been behind many of my favorite records. If you haven't seen it yet, he and Prairie Sun have an awesome cameo in "Electric Apricot," a must-see film that is the Spinal Tap of the jamband world.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:09 pm

I agree, great interview. I wasn't all that familiar with his stuff, but I'll be checking it out. The guy thinks a lot like I do in the studio.... or perhaps more accurately I think a lot like he does.... :-)

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Totally love nearly all the stuff he's done with Bill Laswell - so it was a treat for me to get to see the interview as well. Thanks TapeOp!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

betamatt
audio school

Post by betamatt » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Oz is a brilliant engineer and I've learned so much of the craft from assisting him at PSR. Just a quick correction - the studio in Electric Apricot is actually In The Pocket, another Sonoma County studio. He did tell me that his "the drums are the lettuce of the salad" line was pure improv - about Oz's style of humor too.

We're trying to get more of a Prairie Sun video presence on the internet, but in the meantime you can see Studio C at Prairie Sun in Brain's latest DW Drums video (featuring Buckethead) and in these videos of the Everest tracking session last fall - http://www.vimeo.com/9335548

Cheers

piedpiper
audio school

Post by piedpiper » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:38 pm

Of all the wonderful interviews on Tape Op, this one made me wanna reach out and touch the guy with an email. Just exuded good friendly vibes. In the Tape Op tradition. Nice part o the country, too. Lotta good friends and fond memories out that way.
row, row, row your boat...