David Bazan?

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

AlexHerd
takin' a dinner break

David Bazan?

Post by AlexHerd » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:10 pm

Has there ever been talk of a Bazan interview? I'm pretty sure he's been pretty DIY when It comes to recording from Pedro the Lion to Headphones to solo... Achilles Heal is one of my favorite sounding records of all time. I'd love to hear his thoughts on recording as it relates to his music....

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:27 pm

That new record is CRAZY-GOOD!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:52 am

I'm pretty sure he recorded his most recent record at Litho in Seattle. My friend did FOH for him when he passed through on his recent UK tour and they were discussing Seattle/Litho stories.

AlexHerd
takin' a dinner break

Post by AlexHerd » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:29 am

cgarges wrote:That new record is CRAZY-GOOD!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
It really is.
kingtoad wrote:I'm pretty sure he recorded his most recent record at Litho in Seattle. My friend did FOH for him when he passed through on his recent UK tour and they were discussing Seattle/Litho stories.
I wouldn't doubt he's recorded there, but the liner notes say this one was recorded by Bazan in his basement...

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:40 am

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 am

Wow! That's very cool! Thanks!

Interesting bit about the mastering.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

AlexHerd
takin' a dinner break

Post by AlexHerd » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:36 am

cgarges wrote:
Wow! That's very cool! Thanks!

Interesting bit about the mastering.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Ya, I like how they do that every now and again. The DVD he put out a few years ago has all the signal path's listed: http://www.davidbazan.com/discography/a ... icrophone/

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:52 am

I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Bazan at a show in Southern Illinois. We spoke for about 40 minutes, mostly about the Talking Heads and how much recording multi track can be. This was before the record was released; he was talking about all the fun he had adding all sorts of instruments and touches. For sure, check out 'Bless This Mess'!

Ended up getting into the show for free too. 8)

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:02 am

Artifex wrote:For sure, check out 'Bless This Mess'!
I always liked what I heard of Pedro The Lion, but wouldn't consider myself a serious fan. I heard "Bless This Mess" on the World Cafe a few weeks ago and had a driveway moment. Fortunately, they announced who it was soon afterwards. I loved the tune. I was trying to figure out for a second if Colin Hay had taken an unusual turn. I immediately ordered the CD and fell in love with it. I'll be really curious to hear that Live At Electrical Audio album when it comes out.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:10 am

cgarges wrote:
Artifex wrote:For sure, check out 'Bless This Mess'!
I always liked what I heard of Pedro The Lion, but wouldn't consider myself a serious fan. I heard "Bless This Mess" on the World Cafe a few weeks ago and had a driveway moment. Fortunately, they announced who it was soon afterwards. I loved the tune. I was trying to figure out for a second if Colin Hay had taken an unusual turn. I immediately ordered the CD and fell in love with it. I'll be really curious to hear that Live At Electrical Audio album when it comes out.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
That's funny. I'm on the other side of that fence, I loved Pedro the Lion and David Bazan's first solo EP, but this record feels kinda weak and inconsistent at times to me. It's not bad at all though. Mine came with a 45 including a cover of Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen and it's an incredible cover.

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:25 am

In an attempt to not completely derail the thread, I agree that an interview with Bazan and/or TW Walsh would be great.

On the same line, I'm sure Jason Martin of Starflyer 59 would be a good interview too. He's self-produced an album a year for the last decade, while also doing work recording, mixing and producing for artists such as the Cold War Kids. He's been around through most of the 90s to today, and he also works a day job, so I bet he would have some interesting words for the Tape Op crowd.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:01 am

I'm just now listening to Bazan's latest album, and yeah, it's fantastic.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:32 pm

I swear that I though we DID interview Dave once. I guess not as I can't find it in my index. Wow, getting old and senile...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:36 pm

After being wow'ed by this most recent record, I spent the day listening to the Pedro catalog. Holy crap...I forgot about some of the great stuff he/they recorded as Pedro the Lion.

charlievela
gettin' sounds

Post by charlievela » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:31 pm

Live at Electrical Audio is pretty boss too. Best version of "I Never Wanted You" in my opinion. TW Walsh mixed part of it live online. If you're not subscribing to his twitter you're missing out.