Page 74 Thomas Day-Schematics....Behringer??

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

Sticksilverone
audio school graduate

Page 74 Thomas Day-Schematics....Behringer??

Post by Sticksilverone » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:30 pm

Can anyone shed a little light on the tube-mic pre that Thomas says "has a cheesy tube emulation side chain circuit"????

He says if this is supposed to be high quality then American Engineering is doomed. I wonder if he is talking about a certain German manufacturer???

I hope not as I just bought two Behringer T-1953's used for cheap that I am going to swap op amps in as well as add cinemag output transformers to. They originally had a Transformer output option.....

If this is the pre he speaks of I would like to change the FET biasing so that it is correct....

Anyone?

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:35 pm

I can vouch that this guy knows what he's talking about. I'm honored to say that I've had a few classes with this guy. Very smart and down to earth. On top of that I think he's given me one of the best compliments I've ever heard: "You're the smartest, easiest going guy I've ever met."

I'm going to guess it's not behringer. I has been a number of years since I went to that school but there were no behringer pres to be found in that building at the time.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:05 am

excellent end-piece!
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

guyfi
audio school

re: proprietary schematics

Post by guyfi » Mon May 03, 2010 5:44 am

I'm guessing the piece he mentioned was a Presonus MP20...I bought a used M80 (w/ the Jensen transformers), the 8 ch. version a few years back and it was having an intermittment failure on one channel. They wouldn't send schematics ("proprierary") but would do a complete "factory overhaul" for a flat $75. I thought that was a good deal, so I shipped it to Louisiana (from Wisconsin)....Well, it took 'em 2 months to get it back to me, and it was still having the problem. In fact, I shipped it back 3 TIMES total and they never fixed it right! (more like an M70).

I have a great tech here in town, if he had the schematics he would have gotten right down to business. I will NEVER buy another piece of Presonus gear again.

Guy Fiorentini
www.flystudiosmilwaukee.com
www.guyfi.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon May 03, 2010 6:22 am

I'm thinking it was Presonus, I remember some problematic Presonus products at that school when I went there.