Idea for interview: Lindstrom and Prins Thomas

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

recall
alignin' 24-trk

Idea for interview: Lindstrom and Prins Thomas

Post by recall » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:46 am

I am currently listening to the record "II" and it is the antithesis of faceless, anonymous dance music. In fact calling it dance music is doing it a massive disservice. There are so many great things about this record but the main one is the looseness and groove. Everything else is up for grabs. I hear echoes (literally) of King Tubby, Can's ethnological forgery series, Boredoms style noise, Larry Levan and Studio 54, Jean Michel Jarre, Popol Vuh and a liberal dosage of Neu, Cluster and Harmonia.

Lots of live playing, and interesting "tapey" sounds. I would love to hear more about these Norwegians but apart from a small Electronic Musician interview with Lindstrom there is not much else out there.

Unfortunately I am not in Norway but surely there must be someone who can make this happen?

Cheers,
Iwan

myleftfoot
ass engineer

Post by myleftfoot » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:20 am

I really think someone should interview Bill Skibbe and Jessica Ruffins who run Keyclub Recording Co. in Benton Harbor MI. Their studio is awesome. Among other reasons, they have the Flickinger console they have which was custom made for Sly Stone. They've recorded a lot of different stuff there, including the Fiery Furnaces, The Kills, NOMO, USAisamonster, Six Organs of Admittance, etc. They also run an electronics company, Skibbe Electronics. http://keyclubrecording.com

recall
alignin' 24-trk

Post by recall » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:30 am

I do agree with you about Key Club, but I can't see the relevance to Lindstrom or Prins Thomas.

Unless we want to turn this whole thread into "ideas for interviews"

I do remember that Skibbe was interviewed a while back in "behind the gear", but I would love to see a more detailed interview regarding the studio.

myleftfoot
ass engineer

Post by myleftfoot » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:28 am

Yeah I just decided to use the thread for ideas for interviews...sorry. It is not relevant. This thread just reminded me of another interview idea.