Type sizes/styles.

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

jimexplore
audio school

Type sizes/styles.

Post by jimexplore » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:50 am

Reading the new issue (76), I noticed yet another complaint regarding type size.

Personally, I have no trouble reading the magazine with the current sizing and typeface, however, as a graphic designer I can suggest something that will improve the readability of the magazine while not taking up important column inches. Simply use a typeface that has been specifically designed for enhanced readability at small sizes.

My personal recommendation for the magazine would be something like TheMix from LucasFonts (http://www.lucasfonts.com/fonts/themix/themix-office/). Less than ?100 for four weights (regular, bold, italic, bold-italic) and not too dissimilar to what is already in use.

It looks like a modern sans-serif font but has subtle reduced serifs to aid with character/word recognition.

Just my two penneth worth!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:47 pm

I'm amazed at how many people seem to write in to complain about type size... Maybe I'm not a good candidate to judge this since I have 20/10 vision, but maybe people that have trouble reading the print edition of Tape Op would benefit from a PDF release for computer/iPad/Kindle reading so they can adjust the size to their specific needs. I'm sure that we're headed in that direction, as much as I enjoy my printed Tape Op issue (and the fact that I work in the print industry!), I would still gladly read Tape Op in PDF form.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:31 pm

Fucking PDFs!
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.