SXSW Music Recording Panels

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

SXSW Music Recording Panels

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:09 pm

Hey, say the folks at SXSW gave you a chance to voice an idea for a panel next year about music recording, what would it be? I've been trying to think of something that people would be interested enough in that they would crawl outta bed at noon to see...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:21 pm

are you looking for something on the technical side or the business side? from the business side, a discussion about the changing business model for commercial studios could be interesting. i know this is a topic that has been broached many times on this forum, but to hear from some established studio owners how they are adapting and some new studio owners on how they made their mark would be very interesting. unfortunately, forum discussions on this topic usually end in $35 name calling.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

MarcoPogo
gettin' sounds

Post by MarcoPogo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:21 pm

***How about a return of "Records That Made Me Want to Record"? It's always interesting, and often surprising, to hear recording people talk about their connection to music. And, it would appeal to a larger group of people.
Cheers!

-MR

Mark Rubel
Pogo Studio
Champaign, IL USA

http://www.pogostudio.com/

Pedal Boy
audio school

Post by Pedal Boy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:58 am

Because it?s SxSW and pretty much annually there?s a new crop of bands that embody the latest ?low fidelity? (wish there was an abbreviation for that) aesthetic and/or embrace some kind of diy model, either of which often means recording on their own, I?d say a panel centered around making your own/home recordings better would be a good fit.

Like the business side post above, I know that?s pretty much what the whole magazine & site are about and redundant here, but I can?t tell you how many times I?ve recommended Tape Op to students or other RIY (record it yourself) musicians, expecting that it?s so obvious it?ll sound like nagging, and instead it comes as a revelation.

And hopefully see you all down there next year?

charles
the wrens

svbsound
alignin' 24-trk

Post by svbsound » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:15 pm

I definitely second a revival of "Records that Made Me Want to Record!" I remember this from TapeOpCon '07 and it was really inspirational. Good call Mark!
svbsound.com

svbsound.wordpress.com

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:20 am

I think that the old method of "record a demo, play it for an A&R guy, get a million bucks from Warner Bros. to record an album" is pretty much dead; this leaves your average musician maybe a little more in touch with the reality of financing their own record (and the compromises that should or should not be made). Maybe something along those lines?
Alex C. McKenzie

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:33 pm

Great ideas folks. I submitted something like the Records that made me..." panel (which was my orig idea way back by the way, though Mark made it special).
-LC
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com