Mutt Lange / Ted Templeman

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

audio school

Mutt Lange / Ted Templeman

Post by 1176 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:37 pm

I'm sure its been requested before, but I'd love to see an interview with either of these two cats. A little behind the scenes of Van Halen's debut, or Back in Black? That would be amazing.

alcoyot
audio school graduate

Post by alcoyot » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:05 pm

I'm a fan too. I'm not sure that Mutt has ever done interviews, I think he likes to be mysterious and completely behind the scenes.
There is a book called "ACDC in the studio" or something like that. It gives a lot of details on the making of every single acdc album or something like that. I like to hang out in Barnes and Noble a lot so I just read the 2 chapters on highway to hell and BIB. It has a ton of cool stuff in it.

I'll do a search for Ted Templeman as well. He did a lot of brilliant stuff. Mutt is a genious though. He totally changed the world of recording imo.
Its interesting how in the 80s you start off with a basic rock recording like Halen 1 and 2, which is just the bare bones band playing almost recorded live.
Then by the end of the 80s with Mutt Langes Ultra produced masterpieces, the standard of production completely changed.

fuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by fuzz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:25 am

Terry Manning has a forum he hosts on the web: http://recforums.prosoundweb.com

I recall reading about Back n black there. There is also a "Pensados Place" with George Saer if you like Van Halen. Hope that helps.

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:44 pm

+100

I've always loved the sounds and performances Ted Templeman & Donn Landee got on those VH records. Really present, in-your-face tones with a beautiful sense of space. Their stuff with the Doobie Brothers sounds great, too, especially Tiran Porter's punchy bass.

I was a little surprised to learn that Ted worked with Van Morrison and Captain Beefheart...would love to hear about that! I'm not the biggest Mutt fan but his accomplishments can't be denied.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:54 pm

Mutt won't do interviews as far as I know.

Donn Landee is "missing" for some mysterious reason.

Ted Templeman might be around. An old bandmate of mine took piano lessons from his mom!
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Lost on side
gettin' sounds

Post by Lost on side » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:00 am

If that cat there doesn't stop it man, we're not playing anymore!