Issue 85!! And question re:voltmeter analog fader recall

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

leigh
carpal tunnel

Issue 85!! And question re:voltmeter analog fader recall

Post by leigh » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:59 pm

Got the new issue the other day, and it is full of great stuff. Haven't even gotten to the Eno piece yet, which I've been hoping for for years...

I did read the Gillian Welch & David Rawlings piece, and was impressed by how involved they are on the tech side of things. The bit where David is talking about doing super accurate mix recalls on his Neve using a voltmeter - anyone done that before?

My first thought was he actually meant an ohm meter, and had made test points directly to his faders where he could measure each fader's resistance (with the board off, of course) from wiper to ground. But now I'm thinking it's probably just done using a test tone, with a voltmeter measuring the AC voltage level from the output of the board.

Cool idea, in any case. Any other light that John B. (who did the interview) or others can shed on the method?

cheers,
Leigh

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:07 pm

I assumed he was reading the board's stereo output and making sure each fader was set to where he waned it. Pump 1 kHz through, set by AC voltage. Pretty simple, actually.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com