would love to see an article with james cargill of broadcast

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

mad_mike
audio school

would love to see an article with james cargill of broadcast

Post by mad_mike » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:59 pm

for some reason i just had to reregister but after that excellent albini article (and following eno!), i was inspired to come onto the board.

i'd like to suggest an interview with james cargill, now the sole member of broadcast. his musical and life partner, trish keenan, very tragically passed away last january. he is working to complete the album they were working on when she passed at only 42.

sadness aside, it would be great to hear more about the recording process and production. as i understand, he's been handling most of the technical work since they started in the 90s and they definitely recorded all of their excellent albums. their records feature very interesting mixes of vintage analog gear and computer based recording sounds.

if you're not familiar, i recommend 'haha sound' released on warp records in 2003 (not not electronic, idm, etc)

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:59 pm

They're a fantastic band, and that's terrible about Trish. It's a shame that this is yet another way they'll always remind me a little bit of Stereolab.

I'll have to second your recommendation and also offer up The Noise Made By People as a great listen and a classic album. It's a record that really sets a mood an sticks with it, effectively creating its own alternate reality. A fantastic piece of music that just gets better with age.

mad_mike
audio school

Post by mad_mike » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:34 am

glad to see i'm not the only fan.

the was an audio interview from 2000 done here where james talks a little about how they create music in their home studio...

http://behindthebeat.com/2000/11/broadc ... -play-two/