Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Archives

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:56 am

I love Tape Op.

I love Tape Op Magazine.

I'm saying this 2 times before I ask, why is it so hard to get to archived articles at TapeOp.com?

I just tried to get to one from a link that was posted on FB.
I had to "sign in" to get to it then the whole article wasn't even there?
It was a paywall.

Maybe this was an old policy that's never been updated?

I feel like things are backwards. I'd gladly pay for the magazine and hope the online archives were free.
I'm the guy who thinks the airlines should charge for carry ons and check your baggage for free.

Again, I love Tape Op.

I love Tape Op magazine.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: Archives

Post by kslight » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:16 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:56 am
I love Tape Op.

I love Tape Op Magazine.

I'm saying this 2 times before I ask, why is it so hard to get to archived articles at TapeOp.com?

I just tried to get to one from a link that was posted on FB.
I had to "sign in" to get to it then the whole article wasn't even there?
It was a paywall.

Maybe this was an old policy that's never been updated?

I feel like things are backwards. I'd gladly pay for the magazine and hope the online archives were free.
I'm the guy who thinks the airlines should charge for carry ons and check your baggage for free.

Again, I love Tape Op.

I love Tape Op magazine.
I’ve ran into this as well. Especially with old articles or reviews that were online for years and only recently can’t find. I agree about carryons, and love Tape Op also. :alien:

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:10 pm

I don't own an airline but I can comment on the magazine:

Current content is always free.
Gear reviews are always free.
Printed copies of the new issue mailed to you are free (In the US).
PDF's of the new issue are free (in the world).
If you've had a subscription for years, and maintained the account, then older content will be free to view online.
In all other cases we charge to view, as that is older content that we worked hard for and don't generate ad income from.

https://tapeop.com/subscriptions/
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:59 am

Appreciate the response.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:29 am

I too love Tapeop.

"Maintained your account" is the killer for me. In late 1999 I went to "ask jeeves" on my then gf's mom's computer and stumbled across a great mag I've been reading ever since. But there have been many, many physical and digital address changes in that time. I still have ~ 90% of my issues and the books, but digital access going back only as far as 2013.
So when I click through a link, read the teaser section, hit the paywall, rifle through my back issues, and then realise this is one of the missing, I circle back around to the digital subscription options, conclude that the "digital box set" really is the most sensible from a long-term financial perspective, and then inevitably ask, "but am I really willing to spend $132 to finish reading this article?"
Which is hard to justify, even though I know it shouldn't be.
Village Idiot.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:00 pm

I get it. I wonder if we had online subscription stuff in place that made updating difficult? I dunno. But yeah, buying 132 issues worth of content is also 23 years of work... and I can guarantee you it has exhausted me....
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:36 pm

I understand where you are coming from on the expense and asking people to pay for old articles.
But people would bounce them if they could and then hopefully they get to new readers which leads even more hopefully to new subscribers.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:32 pm

Taper Op ...cool magazine. Fave issue is the "John Stephens" one.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:23 am

The archive subscription is really pretty cheap, and you can just do it for a couple of months or whatever and binge-read a bunch of old articles. I did that a couple years ago and it was well worth the few bucks it cost.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:13 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:23 am
The archive subscription is really pretty cheap, and you can just do it for a couple of months or whatever and binge-read a bunch of old articles. I did that a couple years ago and it was well worth the few bucks it cost.
The big drag is being unable to share the articles.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:45 am

I've been paying for the $6 a month "Basic" sub for years. I still can't access any issue older than #96 even though my subscription info tells me I should be able to go as far back as #24. I hit the paywall every time. Wondering if I bump it up to "Premium" will unlock those older issues, pre-#96?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:30 am

trodden wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:45 am
I've been paying for the $6 a month "Basic" sub for years. I still can't access any issue older than #96 even though my subscription info tells me I should be able to go as far back as #24. I hit the paywall every time. Wondering if I bump it up to "Premium" will unlock those older issues, pre-#96?
Figured it out! My sub was trying to charge an old card. Even though my account still listed me at the "Basic" subscription. I just re-subscribed with a card that is not expired. Opened it all up again.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:04 pm

trodden wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:30 am
trodden wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:45 am
Figured it out! My sub was trying to charge an old card. Even though my account still listed me at the "Basic" subscription. I just re-subscribed with a card that is not expired. Opened it all up again.
That wasn't the case. I guess my basic sub is just broken. For a minute I was paying for two basics, and had to ask a few times to get that fixed, but at least I could access the content I was paying for, twice. Now that's fixed, and I can't access any content past issue 96, even while paying for a Basic Script. The reason I'm talking about here, even though we're not supposed to, is because every email I've sent over the last year in regards to this never gets a reply.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:32 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:00 pm
I get it. I wonder if we had online subscription stuff in place that made updating difficult?
Ummmmm....yeah. It was a bit of a torment in the early 2000s to stay subscribed, or do anything with a subscription as I recall. There were times when I had to resort to buying the mag on the newsstand because my subscription got hinky. I contacted someone on the staff at the time, and whatever issues I had at the time, and the only solution was to resubscribe.