Significant others at TapeOpCon

archival forum of past Tape Op Conferences

Moderator: TapeOpCraig

stevedood
takin' a dinner break

Post by stevedood » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:48 am

My GF came last year and had a really great time, particularly at the pool party.
Alas, she still is not my wife, however...

Any chance that Larry/Craig can negotiate keeping the water slide open later for the pool party?
- Maybe we could cut a deal if we offer our own security lifeguards and station Scott Hamptone as the safety patrol for the top of the slide ;)

Jupiter4Jackie
audio school graduate

Post by Jupiter4Jackie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:16 pm

Steve & I will be renting a car. I'd invite the girls out for lunch but I'll be working with WAM while I'm at the conference. But I'd be happy to meet anyone on my breaks...

Looking forward to meeting you btw (JOEL) and your wifey if she comes along with you this year...
joel hamilton wrote:
Just get a rental car, so they are not stuck at the conquitador the whole time.
It isnt very fun to walk around from there....like walking down the highway...

In new orleans my gal came with me and also brought a pal... That worked really well.[/quote]
"...he reaches for the pen, but the Lackey says "Actually, I think you need a little more development." Swim again, please. Backstroke. And he does of course."
- Steve Albini, The Problem With Music

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:24 pm

Jupiter4Jackie wrote:Steve & I will be renting a car. I'd invite the girls out for lunch but I'll be working with WAM while I'm at the conference. But I'd be happy to meet anyone on my breaks...

Looking forward to meeting you btw (JOEL) and your wifey if she comes along with you this year...
joel hamilton wrote:
Just get a rental car, so they are not stuck at the conquitador the whole time.
It isnt very fun to walk around from there....like walking down the highway...

In new orleans my gal came with me and also brought a pal... That worked really well.
[/quote]

Awesome!
Hope to see you both there!

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:24 pm

I'm way too excited that I get to go this year. It was my wife that insisted that I go. She's coming too, and got the guest pass.

She's cool. I'm a lucky man! This will be serious geeky fun.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Significant others at TapeOpCon

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:49 pm

BeepBeep wrote:I'm girlfriend is contemplating coming along. Is she going to be bored out of her mind hanging at the El Conquistador?
Bored? Are you kidding? She'll get hit on by almost every guy in the place... and some of the girls too!
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:32 am

my girlfriend had a great time last year. it was a lot of fun.

JohnSuitcase
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JohnSuitcase » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:12 am

At a lot of conferences (or it was this way when I was a kid, anyway), there would be activities for the significant others. Nothing too earth-shattering, but stuff like tours, maybe a luncheon, etc. Nothing that the con has to pay for, necessarily, just an open invitiation for significant others to sign up for the group tour, or whatever.

Maybe someone has an ambitious wife who would be willing to organize a handful of daytime activities? I'm sure Craig could include a printout in the program, with the info...)

I'd volunteer my wife, but we're expecting a baby in April, so I don't think she'll be up for that (she's planning to come to the con with me, though!)

Spy Boy
audio school graduate

Significant Other Activity

Post by Spy Boy » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:55 am

We could certainly arrange some kind of activity, a luncheon, tour, etc. if there is enough interest. If your sig other would like to see this happen, please respond to this thread and suggest what type of event she/he would be interested in.

Jon Kardon

JohnSuitcase
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JohnSuitcase » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:07 pm

I don't get to Tucson often enough to suggest many destinations, but a luncheon seems reasonable.

Are there many tour-type things in the area? Maybe a trip to downtown Tucson (the area near the Congress Hotel) for shopping/lunch? Might be a little hot for that...

I know there's a cool missile silo tour near there, but I don't know how much interest there'd be in it!

New Orleans was great for this sort of thing, my wife took several tours while I was at the Con in '05.

bradfromtampa
gettin' sounds

Post by bradfromtampa » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:48 pm

I know my fiance would be down for a lunch/shopping trip to downtown, or even just someone to sit by the pool with and drink mojitos (mojitos are optional). if it's a male significant other, i'd prefer them not to sit by the pool with her :D

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:45 am

Well, just made all my reservations...

Wife is NOT coming this year... assistant IS though....

Look forward to seeing you all there.

alissa
pushin' record

Post by alissa » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:03 am

tape op con is a great place to meet guys!
www.ivorylodge.net
Mistress of Creot
www.creotradio.net
or search for 'creot radio' podcast in itunes

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:59 pm

JohnSuitcase wrote:I'd volunteer my wife, but we're expecting a baby in April, so I don't think she'll be up for that (she's planning to come to the con with me, though!)
Congratulations John!

JohnSuitcase
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JohnSuitcase » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:57 pm

drumsound wrote:
JohnSuitcase wrote:I'd volunteer my wife, but we're expecting a baby in April, so I don't think she'll be up for that (she's planning to come to the con with me, though!)
Congratulations John!
Thanks! It's very exciting, and slightly terrifying!

Maybe we should take Albini's lead and organize a big poker tourney for the 'guests'!

Or maybe a guest speaker to talk to them about Living With an Engineer - Strategies and Coping Mechanisms...

It could be hosted by the wives/husbands/significant others of some of the high-profile speakers, like Mitch Easter's wife (who my wife met in New ORleans and described as being 'A Very Nice Lady.'

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:05 pm

JohnSuitcase wrote:It could be hosted by the wives/husbands/significant others of some of the high-profile speakers, like Mitch Easter's wife (who my wife met in New ORleans and described as being 'A Very Nice Lady.'
Shalini is a very nice lady! Not sure if she's going to the conference this year. She just started a new job.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC