AKG mic repair?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ian
alignin' 24-trk

AKG mic repair?

Post by Ian » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:19 am

I have some AKG mics that need to be serviced (all over 20 tears old)
A couple of 451's that make a popping noise and a 414 that sound a bit lifeless(decreased output) and really dull( not what I'm used to from a 414)
I saw AKG has a place to ship them to in Nashville, but it looks like warranty work, and these are well past that.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:48 am

As long as you only talk about AKG gear, the AKG forum can be pretty helpful, lots of people who work for them attend, probably worth a try.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:10 pm

Years ago I had a 414B/ULS that needed a switch replaced and it had to go back to Nashville. I took it to the local shop and they couldn't get at it since it was all covered in epoxy goop. I'd be wary though...I've heard stories about them "fixing" 414's and tossing CK12 capsules for the newer ones and stuff like that. Have you tried Bill Bradly at the Mic Shop or any of those cats?
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

Ian
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ian » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:04 am

jmoose wrote:Years ago I had a 414B/ULS that needed a switch replaced and it had to go back to Nashville. I took it to the local shop and they couldn't get at it since it was all covered in epoxy goop. I'd be wary though...I've heard stories about them "fixing" 414's and tossing CK12 capsules for the newer ones and stuff like that. Have you tried Bill Bradly at the Mic Shop or any of those cats?

No I haven't tried anyone yet, I will do a google search on the Mic Shop, I tried searching the AKG forum and they had some names listed but couldn't find any with a google search. It seems that AKG doesn't like working on older mics, so I think an outside shop might be best. Thanks for the info!