Neve Portico Series?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rjm
gimme a little kick & snare

Neve Portico Series?

Post by rjm » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:34 am

Does anybody have any experience with any of these, specifically the tape emulation unit?

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:37 am

a couple of internet buddies of mine got the dual preamp and all seem to like it a lot. they just raised the price on all of the portico stuff, by the way. they weren't kidding when they said "introductory price".

brandonpost
audio school graduate

Post by brandonpost » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:01 am

We're loving our Portico gear. We have both the dual pre (5012) and the Tape Em (5042) units.

The Tape Em unit delivers as advertised and subtly warms up digital recordings with a very 'tape-like' compression and EQ curve.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:59 am

brandonpost wrote: The Tape Em unit delivers as advertised and subtly warms up digital recordings with a very 'tape-like' compression and EQ curve.
that's the one I've been curious about as well. Sounds lovely, but $1700 lovely? That, I'm not sure. How are you using it; 2-buss, tracking, drum submixes? Do you happen to have any before/after recordings?

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:27 am

I love my portico pres... the silk switch makes it like two pres in one... I have a hard time telling the difference between it and the great river NV1... and often prefer the neve. The HighPass Filter is awesome as well. Haven't tried the tape emulation, but have a friend who says it is equally awesome. Even at the new price point, it's still a pretty good deal for the dough.

brandonpost
audio school graduate

Post by brandonpost » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:56 am

weatherbox wrote:
brandonpost wrote: The Tape Em unit delivers as advertised and subtly warms up digital recordings with a very 'tape-like' compression and EQ curve.
that's the one I've been curious about as well. Sounds lovely, but $1700 lovely? That, I'm not sure. How are you using it; 2-buss, tracking, drum submixes? Do you happen to have any before/after recordings?
I bought it at the intro price, but would still buy it at $1700. We've used it on the 2 buss so far with great results. I don't have before and afters for you as I don't own the material I mixed. I know that RND will give you a one week trial period to audition the unit for yourself.

JB
gimme a little kick & snare

For the price now on the dual pre.....

Post by JB » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:48 pm

The dual pre would have to sound really nice at the new price....since you you could get an AMEK 9098 or True dual mic pre in the 1700 to 1800 ball park.
2 cents