Bouncing to Disk(PTLE) through outboard comp.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Trem2
gettin' sounds

Bouncing to Disk(PTLE) through outboard comp.

Post by Trem2 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:15 am

Yesterday was the first time I tried this, and I was trying to get the level up as loud as possible on the master fader before bouncing.

I got it right up to where the clipping indicator should have been lighting up, but for some reason they wouldn't light up.

Even when I cranked the outputs of the compressor all the way, no clipping lights came on even though it was obvious from the sound that I was clipping the inputs on the 001.

So, I just used my ears to set the level and went with it but DAMN, It'd be nice to have the reassurance of the meters to determine if there is digital clipping going on.

Is this normal ? Or did I set up the i/o incorrectly ?

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:09 pm

maybe need to check what the line levels you are using? The digi 001 has different levels for pair 1-2 (+4dB) vs 3 to 8 (-10dB). What is the spec of the outboard equipment you are using? digi specs are here:

http://www.digidesign.com/products/digi001/

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:29 am

I have had that happen, and I cant remember why.

I think it is if there is a plug in after the hardware insert.... I cant remember....

on the HD192 converters I use, ther eis some metering though, so when slamming the hell out of the hardware insert, I can see it (and hear it, duh).

Maybe try sending to an aux, just to get the levels right, then re-insrt in place at the master fader?

Trem2
gettin' sounds

Post by Trem2 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:00 am

sounds like a good idea. I'll try that.

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:27 pm

i know the inserts on master faders are post fader, so if you used a hardware insert on the master fader then it wouldn't show on the meter. i don't recall if you can set the meters to post-fader metering though. er actually, are the meters post fader on a master as well? anyhoot, i'm let to believe that the insert would also be post-meter as well if that's the case. I hope that might help!
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:03 am

snuffinthepunk wrote:i know the inserts on master faders are post fader, so if you used a hardware insert on the master fader then it wouldn't show on the meter. i don't recall if you can set the meters to post-fader metering though. er actually, are the meters post fader on a master as well? anyhoot, i'm let to believe that the insert would also be post-meter as well if that's the case. I hope that might help!
If you let L1/L2 blast the master fader though, you get overs...

I guess only with the master fader at "0" though.... I never pull down the master fader.. I wonder if that is what is happening: a way too hot insert, then trying to trim with the master fader itself....

I dont mix ITB, so I only use a master fader when making bounces for listeners...