Cheap Mic Stands at Musicians Friend

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:10 pm

I have a few short On Stage booms that I absolutly love. The ones with the small tripod-shaped weighted bottoms. Perfect for around a drum set. I've swapped out the booms on a couple of them.

What brands besides K&M are good?
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:31 am

Another vote for the cheap stands for beginners on a budget and for home use only. It's not like they can hurt your SM-57, or at least they never hurt mine.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

w

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:51 am

shit man, do what you can afford. If you have cheap stands, don't put your best mics on the most questionable ones. I mean I don't even have $2000 in the bank, much less that much to spend on mic stands. I just bought a new short stand for my snare-bottom mic the other day and I felt like THAT was an indulgence.

Buy them. And watch them carefully, knowing they're probably a bit wonky. But I think it's worth the price.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:59 am

JamesHE wrote:I have a few short On Stage booms that I absolutely love. The ones with the small tripod-shaped weighted bottoms.
actually I have both the Onstage and the Musician's Fiend brand and the Onstage, while still cheap caca, are magnitudes better than the MF brand. But the MF brand were extremely cheap so I had to try them. but as said earlier, don't put your best mic on one if you want to keep it...

Soundmonkey
gettin' sounds

Post by Soundmonkey » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:12 pm

Hooray, my first post!

I bought some tama mic stands from MF and they're great, They are the sturdiest folding tripod type stands I have ever used. There is a kit for $170 with 3 tall ones and 2 short ones. The boom arm adapters aren't wobbly like the super cheap stands, and the pivot is a cast metal piece, not that welded crap with a cheap rubber washer. The mics don't bounce around when you walk past :)

My $.02

Soundmonkey
gettin' sounds

Post by Soundmonkey » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:13 pm