SATA II, any one use it?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ethan Holdtrue
takin' a dinner break

SATA II, any one use it?

Post by Ethan Holdtrue » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:28 pm

Is any one out there useing SATA II (AKA SATA 300)? Apearently it has a transfer rate of 3 gigs per sec rather than the 1.5 gigs per sec + some other goodies.

Any info?

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:35 am

That would be Gigabits per second,which adds up to 375 MB per second, which is pretty good,except that transfer speeds almost never reach their maximum rated speeds..........

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:16 am

SATA II drives won't help you any if your controller is not SATA II also. SATA II drives/hbas may also benefit from the addition of NCQ (native command queuing) which allows the drives to process more than a single outstanding command (traditional ATA must complete every single command before accepting the next). SATA II is more like SCSI in this respect and can benefit where the disk I/O patterns are random in nature (if you've done a lot of editing of your files, they may will be sequential as they were when you recorded them initially) .

however with that said, i'm using a pair of SATA I drives and I can easily exceed my CPU power (3.2GHz P4 w/HT) before I stress the disks (thats 32+ audio tracks with Pro Tools LE 6.9 on the davec test).

Mike