guerrila reamping

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lee
steve albini likes it

guerrila reamping

Post by lee » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:52 am

a reamp box just turns a recorded signal into a line-level signal, right? so, could you do backwards thru a guitar pedal (recorded tracks into the OUT of the pedal, and run a line from the IN of the pedal into the amp)? i havent had a chance to try it out, i dont have any guitar pedals (i play acoustic).

i mentioned this before, with no response. just wondering if this is common guerrila recording technics.
i've written the song that god has longed for. the lack of the song invoked him to create a universe where one man would discover inspiration in a place that god, himself, never thought to look.

lee
steve albini likes it

Post by lee » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:00 am

a reamp box just turns a recorded signal into a line-level signal, right?
(EDIT:) let me stop myself before i begin.

a reamp box turns a recorded signal into an INSTRAMENT signal, right?

much better.
i've written the song that god has longed for. the lack of the song invoked him to create a universe where one man would discover inspiration in a place that god, himself, never thought to look.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:44 am

You can get good results with a passive direct box like the one featured at

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CB1/addreview/

Plug the linelevel output from your mixer/recorder into the "output" jack (1/4 inch jack has worked for me) and then make the "input" jack your output into a guitar amp. It's nothing fancy and you can't alter the level at the direct box, but it works well enough for gorilla porpoises.

I don't work for Sweetwater or Proco.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:47 am

Oh - your question about a guitar pedal. A guitar pedal would convert your INSTRUMENT level signal into another INSTRUMENT level signal. Therefore it would not work. Unless you are talking about some guitar pedal that has a "line out" option next to the normal output jack. That might work. Hm.

You need to convert a LINE level signal into an instrument level so you can feed it back to an amp. That's the ticket.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:01 am

The caveat with guitar pedals (and all active devices) in your proscribed example is that any active circuit passes audio from the in to the out, but not in the other direction. So, on that note, only a passive DI box will work, but an active one will not, in doing the 'reverse' signal path for reamping. And yes, passive DI boxes are usually pretty sweet for reamping.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:03 am

I just did some reamping through a passive di and it worked great. The amp was set up in front of a gong with a piezo pickup on the gong to generate the new track. It's an old sescom di.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:12 am

So: What is the benefit of purchasing a bona fide "reamp" box? Is it just a matter of having some level controls on the box?

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:33 am

a passive di is instrument level in, mic level out. a reamp box is line level in, instrument out. mic level is "close enough" to line level, but I'd imagine you get better results with a transformer that's designed for the purpose. I haven't used one though. a backwards passive di is good enough for me.

Stephen B.
gettin' sounds

Post by Stephen B. » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:02 pm

This is from the FAQ section on the Reamp website:
Question - Some people say I can use a passive direct box in reverse for reamping. Is this true?
Answer - ? No. This would not work because of the large level differences between a microphone level signal and a line level signal. On the direct box the instrument input is designed for instrument level signals (-20dbm) and the microphone out is designed to give a microphone level signal (-60dbm typical) using a direct box in reverse would put a +4dbm signal into a ?60dbm output and would cause extreme signal distortion before you even plugged into the amp.
That's just what they say; I don't have an opinion because I've never compared. I think impedance is a factor too.
"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

C.S. Lewis

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:27 pm

Stephen B. wrote:This is from the FAQ section on the Reamp website:....

quote]

I also read once something about "immediate danger" & weapons of mass destruction.....

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:04 pm

Well, I must be using my passive direct box incorrectly because I'm not hearing any distortion when I have it rigged up as a reamp. That or I should have my hearing checked.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:13 pm

Tatertot wrote:So: What is the benefit of purchasing a bona fide "reamp" box? Is it just a matter of having some level controls on the box?
sound quality..build quality..controls like level pot, pad, earth lift, phase, etc

I use the little labs stuff because it sounds good and has a ton of features and I didn't have to buy the parts and take the time to build it myself..i think its worth the price..

a passive di in reverse will not work technically as a reamp i think..you need to pad it and maybe put a trim pot and adapt the transformer to work in reverse to get it to sound good from what I understand..at least there are many stories of using passive DI's in reverse with shite sound..there are some stories with doing the same with good sound..goes to show you people just like different things in sound..

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:38 pm

When I reamp I usually patch an aux send out of the console to a tie line on the patchbay which comes up on a snake box and gets patched into whatever amp is in question. Nothing intermediary, no worries about impedance, and careful level setting on the send side usually are all I've ever needed. And it's not complicated. YMMV, as they say.
beard_of_bees wrote:a passive di in reverse will not work technically as a reamp i think..you need to pad it and maybe put a trim pot and adapt the transformer to work in reverse to get it to sound good from what I understand..at least there are many stories of using passive DI's in reverse with shite sound..there are some stories with doing the same with good sound..goes to show you people just like different things in sound..
And/or just get different results...
And there you have it. Some DIs, some people, some signals, some amps, etc etc etc will either work or not. :)
The trick I suppose, is to try what you have laying around.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:20 am

yes..its like talking of the technique of using the pass/Di as reamp with no context to what levels your putting in, what chain your using, to what amp you go to, and what your going for overall is utterly useless..sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt as with anything..you have to experience and evaluate..

plus6
audio school graduate

Post by plus6 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:38 am

Tatertot wrote:Well, I must be using my passive direct box incorrectly because I'm not hearing any distortion when I have it rigged up as a reamp. That or I should have my hearing checked.
Allow me to put it this way. You can use a Shure SM57 as a hammer providing the nail is small enough, you hit it just right and you don?t care if the mic will work afterwards. Or, you can use a hammer for nailing and the 57 for a mic. A Mackie console has perfectly fine mic pre-amps but why do all you guys drool over the Neve or API? Yes, a passive DI backwards will pass signal but so would using nothing at all, just lower the signal -50 dB. If you are happy with the results, so be it. Have you ever seen a mic stand made from water pipe?

Weather or not you buy a Reamp? from me or from Little Labs or Radial, it?s a very small expense for a recording engineer who uses reamping as a tool in his or hers work.