What Monitors/Displays Does Everyone Like Out There?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

What Monitors/Displays Does Everyone Like Out There?

Post by Catoogie » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:21 am

I'm a near novice to the computer and computer recording game and I'm about to buy a system. I'm hoping to get some advice on what monitors/displays people here are liking.

Thanks!!

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:30 am

Dell makes great monitors, reasonably priced. Their 20" flat panels are gorgeous.

marc
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by marc » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:41 am

Agreed on Dells. Check out SlickDeals.net periodically, they usually have really good offers/online coupons you can use at dell.com. I got my 19" flat panel there for ~$300 about a year ago, and I've seen them cheaper since.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:46 am

I have a Planar PL-1910M 19" LCD that I bought from Dell. At the time it was the widest (real width not diagonal) monitor I could fit in the 19"-wide monitor "bin" in the Argosy console desk, though I think now there are some 20" narrow bezel models that will fit. I recently put it on an articulated arm too which is very nice.

What I'd reall love to get is their PT-191MU which is pretty much the same monitor with a touchscreen surface. How cool would it be to use a touchscreen to select edit points and run the transport controls in ProTools? I'd have it already if I were running a PC, or felt really certain it would work with a Mac.

-Jeremy

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:52 pm

I went to www.newegg.com and just bought the cheapest 19" LCD monitor they sold (I got a pair and they have been great.) I think the brand is Rosewell but at thatprice point it doesn't matter. They are sharp detail-wise and thats all I care about. I don't care how accurate the color is when I'm looking at Nuendo.

Having a pair of monitors is more important to me than which brand they are.

dither
pluggin' in mics

Post by dither » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:02 pm

I just bought a Sony 17" Trinitron CRT for $9.99...little bitter than flats, but bright, clearn and cheap.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:02 pm

linus wrote:They are sharp detail-wise and thats all I care about. I don't care how accurate the color is when I'm looking at Nuendo.
That's a really good point. For audio, I'd rather have two average monitors than one great one. As long as the display is sharp and crisp, the other things (speed, color accuracy) are way less important.

One thing I'd advise if you can afford it is to get a monitor that supports 1600x1200 or better. You'll appreciate the extra screen space. Most monitors that support this resolution are 20" and up. Dual 20-inchers would be the sweet spot for me. Anything larger and you might have a hard time fitting them on your console or desk. If you don't have a ton of space, dual 17's would be nice, and pretty cheap, too. You should be able to score a pair for about $5-600.

Oh, and I think it goes without saying, but I'm talking about flat panels here. Avoid traditional CRT monitors, 'cause they make ugly noises in guitar pickups and such.

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:09 pm

Yeah, Dells. I got two refurbished 17" LCD monitors to use with my G4 and they are great. I use them primarily for graphic design and web development, but also for recording. Two monitors for Logic is very nice. Another vote for slickdeals. They posted a special sale on refurbished Dell LCDs and they were gone within an hour or so. I got lucky on that one and scored both of my monitors for like $150 apiece, IIRC.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:37 pm

Lots of killer deals on the 2001fp come and go, and who couldn't use a 20" monitor? I like mine better than the Apple 20".

--JES