anyone replace 12ax7a tubes in Art MPA digital (gold)?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

anyone replace 12ax7a tubes in Art MPA digital (gold)?

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:56 pm

I searched but didn't see any specific cases of anyone replacing tubes in an Art Digital MPA (the gold face 2U mic preamp). Has anyone done this and would you please share which specific tubes you tried, liked, disliked? I have the stock chinese (labels say 12ax7a and china only) and not really happy with them.

thanks, Mike

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:04 pm

I put half-faded (label), what I think is RCA tube in my Presonus TubePre - the $90 unit. Sounds better than the shite that was in there before. For lack of real descriptive words (I suck at the English language) I'll go to the dictionary of words that everybody hates: it sounds less "stale" now, less "flat" more dynamic range perhaps, and maybe more dynamic range.

My PRO VLA sounds alright stock. I just got it a month or two ago, so I haven't gotten around to trying different tubes.

jim!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:22 pm

Ok, just thought I'd update my own post in case anyone else tries this. I decided to go with new JJ/Tesla 12AX7's from www.eurotubes.com. Bob was very helpful--replied quickly and shipped quickly.

I did a quick comparison (Studio Projects C3, vocal and acoustic guitar) and immediately noticed better low end. Also, voice was not as nasal (high-mid) as the stock chinese tubes. My biggest concern was this "grit" on the top though, and it looks like that may be finally gone too. In other words, I think these did the job! of course, I need to do some more recording to be really sure, but so far it looks good.

Mike

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:32 pm

Just out of curiosity - how much for those tubes? And did your MPA have 1 tube per channel? I've never opened up either of those ART products (MPA, VLA), so I don't know what's going on yet.

Might be buying some tubes soon.
jim!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:48 pm

I paid $26 total for the pair -- matched triode and shipping.

and yes, the Digital MPA uses one per channel

Mike

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:13 am

I'll "second" the Tesla/JJ's 12AX7's. They're a nice smooth, slightly creamy tube for mic pre's that are guaranteed to please IMO. They're cheap but don't let the price fool ya. In 20 years people will be gagging for JJ's.

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:18 pm

I just ordered a passle of tubes but I haven't had time to try them out yet. I have a couple of ART Pro Channels, an EH12AY7, and my new MPA Gold just arrived on Saturday. I had to send the MPA Gold back today because one of the stupid button lights didn't work. I'll get the new one in a couple weeks. Anyway, I got tubes from EI, JJ, Mullard, and JAN Phillips.

I'll report back when I stuff the new tubes in there and have a chance to compare them.

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:05 am

Ok, just thought I'd update my own post in case anyone else tries this. I decided to go with new JJ/Tesla 12AX7's from www.eurotubes.com. Bob was very helpful--replied quickly and shipped quickly.
Just thought I'd take a moment to give praise to Bob and his tubes. Bob is a sick genius. This guy knows his shit and he keeps his prices right. He lives right outside of Portland. I have a fender super reverb and I take it our to him and he will plug 20 different tubes into it until he gets the sound I'm going for. He loved JJ tubes so much, he became the American distributor.

He's nice, smart, and affordable, he is a guy worth supporting.

His house looks like a museum for Leslie cab's and Sun Amps.
Kyle