Looking to build convenient multi-DI box

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Looking to build convenient multi-DI box

Post by alexdingley » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:05 pm

Hey there,

I've got a home studio rig with a bunch of synths in a small line mixer. I also have a MOTU 896 for recording. I mainly work with the synths in this room, so I'd like to take DI taps from the synths into the 896 while keeping them accessible in the line mixer for general use. This would enable me to simply flick on some 48v and arm tracks in my DAW to record the synths... it also prevents having to monitor them through the software when recording.

The trouble is... I don't want to buy 8 DI boxes @ $150 each... and I don't want to buy samson DI's to save money. I'd like to get 8 good quality DI's in a rack, something on par with a Countryman or Radial. some companies out there are making 2 and 4 channel DI's but the boxes are normally front/back connections... I want to get this done in a simpler, easier to conceal box.

Here's an idea of what I'm hoping to find or build. If I can find a bread-board kit, I'll just have a panel made up with the connectors and call it a day.

dither
pluggin' in mics

Post by dither » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:39 pm

Damn dude, if you find schematics post it on this this thread. I'd love to build something like this.

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:26 am

Active or passive? Also, ground-lift switches are a good idea.

Bri
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.brianroth.com/

edwinhurwitz
studio intern

Post by edwinhurwitz » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:30 am

I have built passive DIs along these lines using Reichenbach transformers that I got from NBS electronics in Denver, CO. Last time (several years ago) I did it, they were about $60 apiece. They work and sound great. The Reichenbachs are equivalent to Jensens.

The case really is the hardest part in these kinds of things.

HTH
Edwin

rydaken
pushin' record

Post by rydaken » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:53 pm

There is a product called "Ugly Box" that is an 8 channel passive DI. It's rackmount as well, but there are only inputs on the front. Maybe the thru's are on the front, too. I can't remember. The xlr's are on the back, though.