ART MPA vs ART TPS II

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

junkyardtodd
gettin' sounds

ART MPA vs ART TPS II

Post by junkyardtodd » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:34 pm

I am thinking about upgrading my pre's, but I really can't spend a bunch of cash. A lot of people have said nice things about the ART MPA. I was wondering about the TPS 2, because it's less money, and has a built in limiter.

Opinions?

I record underground rock type stuff, and want to start gettting other groups in (friends, for little or no $)

My current pre's are a Meek VC#Q and an ART Tube PAC, both of which I still like.
Yes, I am one of THOSE people, up in the attic, trying to recreate the magical sounds of my youth (cheap trick, boston, pavement) on the family 8 track recorder.

junkyardtodd
gettin' sounds

Post by junkyardtodd » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:49 pm

And the other pre I am thinking about is the Symetrix 302, which seems unreasonably, but I have seen good things written about it.
Yes, I am one of THOSE people, up in the attic, trying to recreate the magical sounds of my youth (cheap trick, boston, pavement) on the family 8 track recorder.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:02 pm

I had the original DPS and then I "upgraded" to the Digital MPA. I say upgraded because many a snob will tell me that pre sucks. Well, Ok, but financially I haven't quite justified the need for a rack full of Neve pres. Anyway, the MPA is pretty cheap now and I recommend replacing the stock tubes (I got 12AX7's from JJ's tubes -- www.eurotubes.com) and it helped. then again, the DPS did pretty well for me. I had a Studio projects C3, the DPS, and a female vocalist that sounded phenomenal, proving once against, its whats on the business end of the mic that makes the biggest difference.

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:31 pm

Last year I picked up an original TPS (not the II), and I liked it at first. The 'valve' setting was the best sounding setting on it to my ears. I ended up getting rid of it, it just wasn't that great of a preamp.
Last week I picked up an original PRO MPA (when they were still black), and I am quite impressed with it, I think it is much nicer than the TPS was. I like the sound a lot, it's very rich and clear at the same time. (I replaced both 12ax7's with a couple of Groove Tubes I had lying around...definite improvement over the sovteks that were in it)
I know it is still a starved plate tube design, so technically it's not a "real" tube preamp either, but I consider it to be a "real" mic pre (tube or not), whereas the TPS just seemed kinda cheap. And the limiter function on the TPS is worthless, definitely do NOT buy it for the limiter. ICK!

It's worth noting that the layout of the controls on the MPA models is just way simpler and more intuitive. Easy to read everything and your fingers just know where to go. The TPS was a BIG pain in the ass to control. The controls on the left and right sides are MIRRORED from each other, which is just the stupidest thing ever. Everything's just too small to read and use easily.

So to make a long story short...
:roll:

MPA not TPS