Going 1/4" to digital

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

monocle
audio school graduate

Going 1/4" to digital

Post by monocle » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:07 pm

Please excuse my ignorance in the matter, but I came across a
Teac A-334OS 4-track reel to reel and I am wondering if anybody knows what would be needed in order to transfer all 4 tracks to a mixing program. Also, I am trying to find out if it's possible to synch up an additional 4 tracks to the first 4 once converted to digital (obviously the desired effect here is to get 8 synchronized analog tracks out of a 4-track machine). Because I am a big fan of the way this tape machine sounds, I am only looking for a basic program that will allow me to synch up the two groups of 4 tracks, mix them and possibly run a pseudomastering program so I can burn a cdr at "the end of the day". Also, would an interface be necessary, and which software would be appropriate? If anyone has any suggestions or remarks, I'd be much obliged. :?:

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:05 am

Any A/D interface box that has (at least) four analog inputs will allow you to do the first transfer into the computer. Many interfaces like that come with basic multi-track software capable of handling at least 8 tracks.

If you only have 2 inputs available, you can transfer 2 channels in (tracks 1 and 2), then transfer again, doing one of the already transferred channels (channel 1 for this example) and another one (track 3), then once more with that already transferred channel and the remaining one (track 4). You'll end up with three transfers, six tracks in the box, and two will be redundant to the first transfer's channel 1. Use these to help align channels 3 and 4 to the original transfer of channels 1 and 2.
Make sure that if you have a stereo pair on the machine that those are the first two channels transferred.

Another limited-input method (two inputs in this example) is to print a click on the beginning or end of all the tracks. Transfer two tracks, then two more. Then use the click to align the tracks in the computer.. This is really useful if you have two stereo pairs that need to stay phase aligned.

If you have 4 tracks that need to stay phase aligned, you'll have to use a 4-input box to retain that relationship - the above ideas for limited-input transfers simply won't work.

Regarding analog overdubs after the initial transfer:

Syncing the machine to the computer for a second 4 tracks is much more difficult. One way is to use SMPTE code on one track of the analog deck, but you'd need a SMPTE sync box that works with your software.

A better idea; you could mix the 4 tracks in the computer back down to a track of the analog deck, do a three overdubs, and the bounce those four tracks back into the computer. Unless the deck's motor/transport is really unstable, you could then line up the tracks in the computer, using the bounced track against the original four as a guide (both visually and aurally). A standard song-lenth should have minimal drift and your tracks would stay in sync. Now, that's only 7 tracks, not 8, but you could repeat the process all day long for as many tracks as needed, all tracked analog and transferred into the box for mix.

Just some thoughts.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

monocle
audio school graduate

Post by monocle » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:06 am

"A better idea; you could mix the 4 tracks in the computer back down to a track of the analog deck, do a three overdubs, and the bounce those four tracks back into the computer. Unless the deck's motor/transport is really unstable, you could then line up the tracks in the computer, using the bounced track against the original four as a guide (both visually and aurally). A standard song-lenth should have minimal drift and your tracks would stay in sync. Now, that's only 7 tracks, not 8, but you could repeat the process all day long for as many tracks as needed, all tracked analog and transferred into the box for mix. "

That's a great suggestion...thanks!

monocle
audio school graduate

Post by monocle » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:42 am

What I am wondering now is should I take mr. guitar center's advice and purchase a MOTU 828MK2 interface, or is there a comparable interface I am unaware of? Also, would it deplete the sound of the original tape if I were to carry out the aforementioned process with a multi-track digital recorder with a built-in cdr burner in place of a computer? All I am trying to do is get 8 analog tracks out of a 4-track tape machine mixed and onto a cdr at the end of a session. Much obliged for any suggestions or comments.

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:58 pm

monocle wrote:Also, would it deplete the sound of the original tape if I were to carry out the aforementioned process with a multi-track digital recorder with a built-in cdr burner in place of a computer?
Syncing the tracks up might be more difficult on the digital multi track, unless there's a graphical interface that lets you slide the tracks back and forth.

whatever you do, take the advice of an earlier poster who said to put some sort of clicks, beeps, or stick hits at the same point on all tracks. it makes the process of aligning all the tracks MUCH MUCH easier.