rack tom mics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

Post by NU-TRA » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:59 am

Floid
I've used the method you mentioned in a previous post and I've done it per case...
If it's the type of music taht calls for it I will do it but for my band I use the close miced method...

V

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:41 am

NU-TRA wrote:My bands sound is very Devo influenced and is very tom driven... I like the sound of miced toms... I don't worry about phase for I take the time to position and use a phase tool if i can't fix it. For snare I use a beyer 201 with a Shure beta98 taped to it. We miced the kit up last night with the two oktavas on the rack toms... They sound killer! The mk012 made my tom sound like a tom and my 421's make my toms sounds like roto toms on a coated ambassador. A little plasticy... I've been using 421's for years... I'm gonna keep them around for when I record other bands and I can have a choice. Inside the kick I use a shure sm91 for the click and the EV RE20 about an inch outside the soudhole... I rarely eq except cut at aroud 250hz to get rid of mud. I blend the two mics together to get any variation i want.

Thanks
V,
Hve you tried using a speaker as a kick mic? I just started doing this recently and it made a big difference. I love the m201 on top snare and I use an MC102 on bottom but I'm gonna try a Pro37r I think it might sound nice and crisp on bottom snare.

E
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

Post by NU-TRA » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:07 pm

the audiotechnica? I heard that mic is cheap $$$$ I use the 451 underneath... ksm 144 for hat

V

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:11 pm

yeah, the old speaker on the kick trick...i use one from an old pair of koss headphones allatime, keep trying others out but just come running back to that in the end - although i've never tried anything larger than a 6": seems like a larger one would do good, yeah? but i don't have any spares layin' around...
whaddya like on the shell of a snare?
Village Idiot.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:14 pm

NU_TRA wrote
I've used the method you mentioned
which one - the overhead, or inside the toms? i'm tempted, but i'd hate to just find out i ruined a perfectly decent set of heads...
Village Idiot.

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

Post by NU-TRA » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:26 pm

no the large diaphram overheads overheads. I've never cut a hole in the skins...

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:18 pm

but I'm gonna try a Pro37r
That's what I use on toms because I like the way it captures the attack.

There was a thread several months ago where somebody did a test of a bunch of mics on a floor tom. I remember the photo from straight overhead with all the mics arranged around the tom. It also included sound files. Do any of you guys remember where this thread was? I can't even remember which forum it was on but it must have been either TapeOp or the Listening Sessions. I should have saved the damn thing and if I find it again I surely will because it was very enlightening. I tried UTFS but I can't figure out how to narrow down the hits to reasonable level.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:59 pm

floid wrote:yeah, the old speaker on the kick trick...i use one from an old pair of koss headphones allatime, keep trying others out but just come running back to that in the end - although i've never tried anything larger than a 6": seems like a larger one would do good, yeah? but i don't have any spares layin' around...
whaddya like on the shell of a snare?
I last used one of the aluminum hartke speakers 10" and it sounded pretty damn good. I have an NS10 woofer that I'm going to rig up as well.

E
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

Phil_Fee
audio school graduate

Post by Phil_Fee » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:13 am

When you use a speaker on a kick what is the signal path? Do you need a transformer to match impedence or do you just go straight into a mic pre?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:24 pm

Phil_Fee wrote:When you use a speaker on a kick what is the signal path? Do you need a transformer to match impedence or do you just go straight into a mic pre?
I always just ran the two conductors to a 1/4" jack and DI'd the thing. That always seems to work quite well. That gives me the option to go with different DI's too. I have this old SESCOM passive DI with a good xfformer in it, and it has a "filter" position that sounds great for speaker mic type stuff. A slight lowpass, and it seems to help keep the line noise down...

mfedderman
pushin' record

Post by mfedderman » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:40 pm

Lately I have been loving an Audix i5 on rack and an SM7 on the floor.

-Matt
"The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left over by those who got there first!"

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:30 pm

i got a pretty good track out of a D112 on a floor tom... better on floor tom than kick drum IMHO.

[<|>]

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:46 am

Hell ya for the D112 on floor tom! I discovered that a few months ago and haven't even thought about using anything else since. I've messed around with 421's, RE20's, D4's, 57's, and a host of other stuff on floor tom. I really, really like the D112 on there. Which is kinda funny considering I hate it on kick drum.

-doc

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:02 am

8th_note wrote:There was a thread several months ago where somebody did a test of a bunch of mics on a floor tom. I remember the photo from straight overhead with all the mics arranged around the tom. It also included sound files. Do any of you guys remember where this thread was? I can't even remember which forum it was on but it must have been either TapeOp or the Listening Sessions. I should have saved the damn thing and if I find it again I surely will because it was very enlightening. I tried UTFS but I can't figure out how to narrow down the hits to reasonable level.
That was done by JJ Blair at the prosoundweb.com forums. Might be on the REP. He did a really cool guitar amp mic shootout as well.
my band: Mission 5

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:20 am

AKG D19 gets my vote for floor tom. I also like Beyer M88s.