recording drums..how would you do it?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

headache9
gimme a little kick & snare

recording drums..how would you do it?

Post by headache9 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:37 pm

I have a fun little project. This guy wants me to record a drum set as well as each drum & cymbal by themselves. Just samples. The guy built this set at home. It's a prototype kit for his new line of drums he's starting. He wants to put samples on a cd & website so people can hear what his drums sound like.
I'm not sure how to go about recording them. I wonder if I should use one mic & record each drum with that. Maybe the kik should have a kik mic? I guess I should find what sounds the best for each drum but list it on the website, cd or whatever. He's not sure the best way & I'm not either. I know we want to stay away from eq & reverb.
I guess we have a few options...what would you do?

Mics include royer 121, akg 414, adk area 151 vienna (pair), sm57's, senn 609, senn 604, senn 441, beta 52, audix d4, audix d6, oktava mc012 (pair), studio projects c1, shure sm5.

preamps sytek (4). mackie (12), UA-2610, & 2 racked ward beck 460's

Just throwing it out there...gotta go mix... I'll see what you would do in the morning.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:01 pm

How do you normally mic up a kit, especially if you're going for a 'natural kit sound'?
That's where I'd start.

Then, turn off close mics that aren't needed if they clutter the sound when making the individual hit samples. (For example, if the toms are ringing when the kick is hit...) Alternately, you could remove portions of the kit from the room if they cause unwanted noise when doing the individual hits, like actually taking the toms out of the room.

I personally wouldn't close mic the individual drums when also putting up a full-mic'd recording of the full kit right next to it.

Another option would be to minimally mic the kit - simply go for the best full kit sound with as few mics as possible.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:05 pm

you have to make it sound really good because its part of the marketing right?

If I had a drum company and I were looking to do samples I might hire a really amazing drum room, drummer, and studio to do the work..I mean its potentially a huge factor in your friend's business taking off or flopping..thats a tough situation to be in..be careful..