Mixing half deaf

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

stinkpot
pushin' record

Mixing half deaf

Post by stinkpot » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:16 pm

Ok, this was a new one for me. Just had to mix with a cold. One ear is totally clogged. That was NOT easy. The project is on a deadline, so putting it off isn't really an option.

Thank god my wife is cool and knows what sounds good. And for the internet so I could email the mix to the band who's out of state, and get feedback via instant messenger.

It's been one weird disorienting night.

Anyone else have stories such as this?

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:38 pm

Not that I want to admit here. :P

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:43 pm

is it done?

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:46 pm

No, but I needed to get a start on it and get some general feedback. I'm hoping to have my other ear back tomorrow.

The band was actually quite impressed with what they heard in light of the gimpy ear. That made me feel a little better.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:07 pm

ginger/lemon/pepper/peppermint tea/.....
lotta sleep..

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:13 am

Ahhhh, woke up this morning with 2 functioning ears. I'm pounding green tea like it's going out of style to keep it from plugging up again.

I listened to that mix I did last night, it's not as funky as I'd feared. It's not a keeper, but not terrible. The left side is a little brighter than the right :mrgreen:

I'll just clean that up later today and all will be well.

It was weird how it kept making me dizzy last night, listening so intently, but so off kilter. Ears are strange, beautiful beasts.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:21 am

Apple cider vinegar. Raw. By "braggs." about three capfulls in a big glass of water. pound it all day at the first sighn of congestion. Has worked for me for years. Of course, that didnt work for this....

...I did a crazy dub session this past weekend with the worst food poisoning i have ever had. The band traveled far to work with me, with no easy way of re-scheduling... I laid on the floor in the bathroom for an hour, then mixed, then laid on the floor in pain for an hour, then mixe... all day sunday. The WORST pain I have ever felt. by far.

The mixes turned out quite well actually. I really had to make the time in front of the console count I guess.... ;)

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:31 am

The mixes turned out quite well actually. I really had to make the time in front of the console count I guess.... Wink
bunch of soldiers here it seems..
things like the 1st story happen to me from time to time...makes my afraid for my ears...bit of wake up call..

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:31 am

"Apple cider vinegar and honey" is an old Vermont folk remedy, kind of like a sweet and sour lemonade, sorta kinda.

I wish I could have mentioned this sooner--the screed I read about it said it's just a miracle cure for all kinds of things, and the guy drank a glass religiously every morning. And he told a tale of going to a backyard barbeque and everyone got food poisoning from the shrimp except for him!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:39 am

mmmmm
vinegar....love it

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:25 am

Oh, lordy, Joel. That's more like "mixing half dead!" I think you win the badass of the year award, and we're only in January.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I will be trying out the concoctions.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:08 pm

stinkpot wrote:Oh, lordy, Joel. That's more like "mixing half dead!" I think you win the badass of the year award, and we're only in January.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I will be trying out the concoctions.
If that is "winning" I want to lose every day for the rest of my life.....
;)

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:31 pm

Just watch your high-end. Don't be inclined to overcompensate. Keep things natural. WATCH YOUR METERS!!!

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:21 pm

Murine Murine Murine

I have gotten weird mahogany colored wax ingots out of my ears from time to time using Murine. Fantastic. The largest ones have been on the order of 6-7 mm in diameter.

Be careful with the bulb syringe though.

Anybody ever had that ear candling technique? It's sometimes offered at CMT/holistic med. places.

brandonpost
audio school graduate

Post by brandonpost » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:13 pm

It happened to me twice and both times coincided with mixing two separate projects!

No cures that I know of for a true inner ear fluid thing. Just needs to run it's course. Now, at the first sign of congestion it's lotsa fluids, fruits, vitamins and Afrin..... Yikes!