How do you get Carol Kaye-esque bass sounds?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

aeijtzsche
gettin' sounds

Post by aeijtzsche » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:15 am

Right, she tapes and taped felt over the bridge. She had the strings set up with a very high action, played with a very hard, small pick. Flatwounds, never changed until she would trade in for a new bass every two years. She played through the Fender Super Reverb, 4x10 amp. She was generally mic-ed up with a Shure 545 or EV 666 or RE-15 pointed at the best sounding speaker. Not direct until the very late 60s. On Beach Boys tracks, that would be taken through the UREI 610 console channel strip, not EQed at all on the board, then bussed out to tape along with much of the rhythm section.

That's Carol Kaye's tone recipe, I guess.

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:52 am

narcopolo wrote:i'm pretty sure i read that she taped felt over the strings, as opposed to putting foam underneath.
She says to use felt over the strings if using only a pick; foam under if using fingers or fingers sometimes, pick sometimes:

"The way I mute the strings is by folding over a piece of felt muting (buy at the sewing section at Target, Walmart etc.) so it's doubled to a width of about 1-1/2". Take it and tape it (I use masking tape) to on top of the bridge area, but laying slightly ahead of the bridges. It won't be too loose but you will have to re-tape it tighter from time to time. Thus, it lays on top of the strings and kills the over- and under-tones, making your bass sounds more defined. You use a doubled up piece of felt *on top* of the strings when you play *only* with a pick. If you play with fingers (or even with fingers sometime and then pick sometime), then get a piece of foam about the same width, but fit *underneath* the strings, barely touching the strings. This takes some doing. You don't want the foam to mute the strings so much it gives off a "plunk" sound, yet you need it to touch all the strings relatively the same amount. The strings in all instances should ring almost as much as if there wasn't any muting at all. You'll notice an immediate difference in sound and your band will too as well as the audience noticing the bass sounding great and projecting very well too. In recording, it's a must. If you have a bridge cover and are using a doubled up piece of felt, lay it between the that rubber "mute" (that is practically useless) in the bridge cover and the strings, but....do raise the bridge-cover slightly so the strings ring....you will have to stick a couple of wedges underneath the bridge-cover so it stays up without rattling (I always used 2-3 picks). This is the sound you want, a ringing sound but without all the extraneous noises of over- and under-tones the strings get. This will work fine. Carol"

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:42 pm

KennyLusk wrote:I suck at muting so like some of the others I put a piece of foam under the strings at the bridge, retune, and play with one of those heavy fender dorito chip picks..
Wow, I am the opposite - I have a hard time playing bass without palm muting it.
beware bee wear

lharless
takin' a dinner break

Post by lharless » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:51 pm

how 'bout not trying to get her sound and do your own thing?

invent your own individual signature.

aeijtzsche
gettin' sounds

Post by aeijtzsche » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:02 pm

how 'bout not trying to get her sound and do your own thing?

invent your own individual signature.
Some people aren't interested in doing their own thing. There's nothing wrong with trying to get a tone you like, if it makes you feel good about playing.

Some people can and do do their own thing, but are also interested in the mechanics or whatever of their favourite recordings.

lharless
takin' a dinner break

Post by lharless » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:22 pm

oh hey, sorry, didn't mean to sound condescending.

good luck. and again... not trying to be rude.

have fun!
Last edited by lharless on Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:52 pm

lharless wrote:oh hey, sorry, didn't mean to sound condescending.

i know what you mean. totally understand. have for years. but i was suggesting trying to do the same thing with your own sound. kinda step into the "now", so to speak. modernize it a bit. make it your own.
I understand where you're coming from, and yeah, I'm totally going for that - but just like how I wear my Larry Bird uniform because it rocks, there's nothing wrong with a little idol worship, eh?

edwinhurwitz
studio intern

Post by edwinhurwitz » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:48 pm

Most of it has been covered, pick, flats, muting, etc, but you can always do like I did. Get in your car, drive for 25 hours and go take a lesson! She's a great teacher and it's just astounding to see her close up. Her enthusiasm and knowledge are unparalled.

Just my 02c
Edwin

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:54 pm

edwinhurwitz wrote:Most of it has been covered, pick, flats, muting, etc, but you can always do like I did. Get in your car, drive for 25 hours and go take a lesson! She's a great teacher and it's just astounding to see her close up. Her enthusiasm and knowledge are unparalled.

Just my 02c
Edwin
Wow...that's sweet - a lesson from Carol herself.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:49 pm

mjau wrote:
edwinhurwitz wrote:Most of it has been covered, pick, flats, muting, etc, but you can always do like I did. Get in your car, drive for 25 hours and go take a lesson! She's a great teacher and it's just astounding to see her close up. Her enthusiasm and knowledge are unparalled.

Just my 02c
Edwin
Wow...that's sweet - a lesson from Carol herself.
That's been one of my goals as well. About 10 years ago, she was a subscriber to a bass-player's mailing list I was on. I posted to the list about some wrist issues I was having, and she responded with some very helpful technique suggestions. I was totally floored to get an email from one of my favorite bassists of all time!

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:03 am

I hate to point out the obvious but...... http://carolkaye.com/

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:10 am

Red Rockets Glare wrote:I hate to point out the obvious but...... http://carolkaye.com/
Yeah, that site is awesome! That's where I got the "felt over/foam under" quote in my post above. I should've stuck the website in that post....

Some of the pages are realllllly long so you have to read a lot to find particular stuff, but there's a ton of great stuff on there.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:05 pm

cwileyriser wrote:
Red Rockets Glare wrote:I hate to point out the obvious but...... http://carolkaye.com/
Yeah, that site is awesome! That's where I got the "felt over/foam under" quote in my post above. I should've stuck the website in that post....

Some of the pages are realllllly long so you have to read a lot to find particular stuff, but there's a ton of great stuff on there.

She's literally my favorite musician. She'll write you back if you email her. How cool.

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:35 pm

I recall reading a long time ago that she played through a Fender Super Reverb guitar amp on many of those sessions.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:48 pm

joeysimms wrote:It's all in the Carole Kaye.. and the muting.
Totes. Like said before, the foam trick works great. Kaye used something to that effect. Or, just use the palm of your bridge hand. If you can get ahold of the Carole Kaye article, it's well worth the read. Seriously. I used to always DI my bass. And compress or distort the poo out of it. Now, thanks to the article and some suggestions from another forum, I have been playing bass through a Fender guitar amp and applying the Kaye technique...and the bass sounds like a sweet bass. It's not disguised anymore. It's the best bass sound I've ever gotten. Another thing. If you're micing an amp...don't set the mic directly in the center of the speaker cone. Offset it slightly.

Just one man's salt. Take it as you like.