Monitoring from outboard converters- help!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lofilothario
audio school graduate

Monitoring from outboard converters- help!

Post by lofilothario » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:05 am

Longtime lurker here, finally beginning to participate. So I just bought a Lucid 8824 to replace the Digi002's awful converters. hooked up via lightpipe, everything is working.

My question is how can i monitor through the Lucid? When i send the signal from the analog outs direct to the monitors the level is way too high so i end up setting the master fader in pro tools to -20 for a listenable level. SO what am i missing here? Something in between the converter and the monitors to regulate the levels? I cannot adjust output levels on the lucid itself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:10 am

Sounds like you would benefit from anyone of a host of monitoring devices out there.

To name a few:

Presonus Central Station
Mackie Big Knob
Samson C-control

There are some other higher end models from Grace and the like.

I had the Samson... didn't like it so much (the LED's also broke on my original and the replacement).

Now I have the Presonus and I like it. It uses relays instead of IC switchers. That's the way to go IMHO.

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

lofilothario
audio school graduate

Post by lofilothario » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:04 pm

ahh thanks for the reply. Yeah I was afraid of that. Nothing worse than getting a new piece and finding out you need to shell out another $300-500 to get something else to make it work. I thought that only happened with Waves plugins. ooh!

Ken
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Ken » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:11 pm

lofilothario wrote:ahh thanks for the reply. Yeah I was afraid of that. Nothing worse than getting a new piece and finding out you need to shell out another $300-500 to get something else to make it work. I thought that only happened with Waves plugins. ooh!
:D

Outta curiosity, what do you mean by the last comment about the Waves plugins? I'm using RenMaxx 4.0 and haven't had to get anything else to make it work. Just curious.

I use Mackie Big Knob because I'm using an Apogee Rosetta 800, going out to ADAM P11As (active monitors) and needed something that controlled the volume. As a bonus, it does a bunch of other things as well. Good product.

What kind of monitors/amp are you using? Do you have any sort of volume control?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:26 am

The cool thing about the presonus central station is that it is based on straight wire. Your signal doesnt go through any extra BS on the way to the monitors. Totally cool, passive, and the remote is pretty cool as well, I believe with a TB mic on the remote.... look it up for actual facts. i just know someone that has one...

lofilothario
audio school graduate

Post by lofilothario » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am

Currently i have no way to adjust the volume so i've been monitoring from the Digi002 (awful awful) to a pair of Mackie HR824's. I'm going to pick up a Big Knob next week.

I agree the central Station looks quite nice but at $650 with remote it is about twice what i have to spend. :cry:

As for Waves, well i was referring to the WUP and the forced switch to ilok and whatever else they'll be extorting me with in the future.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:29 pm

lofilothario wrote:Currently i have no way to adjust the volume so i've been monitoring from the Digi002 (awful awful) to a pair of Mackie HR824's. I'm going to pick up a Big Knob next week.

I agree the central Station looks quite nice but at $650 with remote it is about twice what i have to spend. :cry:

As for Waves, well i was referring to the WUP and the forced switch to ilok and whatever else they'll be extorting me with in the future.
How much is that thing without the remote? It is really way better than the big knob thingy...

As for waves... I ranted about their draconian corporate nightmare of a business already in this forum..

Ken
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Ken » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:26 pm

Crap. I guess I haven't found out about Waves draconian way of doing business yet.

I can't compare the PreSonus to the Big Knob, but the Big Knob seems to work fine for what it is. The PreSonus certainly seems quite nice, but at twice the price, I opted for the Big Knob. No complaints so far.

I am monitoring from the D/A of the Apogee Rosetta 800. Such a big difference from monitoring from Digi001...like cleaning gummed up ear wax out of the ear canal or something.