build your own mixer... modular ideas

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

build your own mixer... modular ideas

Post by curtiswyant » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:25 pm

Here's my vision. A completely modular mixer. Kinda like the 7th Circle stuff on steroids. It would be rackmount or you could mount them in a console for a real mixer look. There would be three main products: preamp modules, EQ modules, and a master/summing mixer to tie it all together. The preamp and EQ modules would all be plug-n-play, like PCI cards, and they would hook into the other products via a main cable (IDE cable or something similar). It would be the perfect solution for people who want standalone pres AND a big console.

rpowell
pluggin' in mics

Post by rpowell » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:08 pm

A Great River NV master section would be awesome to go with the mic pre and EQ modules.

RP

MD
gettin' sounds

Post by MD » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:24 pm

brianroth
tinnitus

Re: build your own mixer... modular ideas

Post by brianroth » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:57 am

curtiswyant wrote:Here's my vision. A completely modular mixer. Kinda like the 7th Circle stuff on steroids. It would be rackmount or you could mount them in a console for a real mixer look. There would be three main products: preamp modules, EQ modules, and a master/summing mixer to tie it all together. The preamp and EQ modules would all be plug-n-play, like PCI cards, and they would hook into the other products via a main cable (IDE cable or something similar). It would be the perfect solution for people who want standalone pres AND a big console.
You left out routing, as in panpots for a stereo mix (or, gawd-forbid, 5.1 surround! <g>), busing to a multitrack or DAW, aux sends, solo, etc.

I've kicked around some ideas with a few guys about adopting the API "500" form-factor, but unfortunately the quantity of pins on the edge connectors are a big limitation, especially when dealing with the busing lines.

Bri
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.brianroth.com/

blunderfonics
pushin' record

Post by blunderfonics » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:46 am

I believe that, somewhere in the near future, Tonelux is going to be producing a bucket that you can load up with thier modules to make a custom console.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:59 pm

blunderfonics wrote:I believe that, somewhere in the near future, Tonelux is going to be producing a bucket that you can load up with thier modules to make a custom console.
Stellar!