marijuana and mixing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

marijuana and mixing

Post by ryanlikestorock » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:10 pm

I'll admit, I'm very new to any kind of drug use. I didn't touch the stuff until 6 months ago - I'm 26 now. Honestly, I have no idea how I'd mix a record without it at this point. Reverbs, dynamics, overall quality (converters, mics, the instruments, etc) sound so much more defined when I'm high. I'm also much less likely to start pushing buttons without hearing exactly what they're doing to the signal with regards to phase and stuff like that.

Anyone else have anything to add to this?

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:22 pm

I'll readily admit to a serious friendship with gin and tonics, but everything I've ever mixed where I had more than a couple of them has turned out shite.

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:27 pm

i wouldn't ever do that for serious work. getting high is what you do when you're done with the project and listening back to it. "whoa, I did that! that sounds SO AWESOME!"

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:29 pm

Never worked for me. Things come back sounding very weird the next day, although they sounded FANTASTIC when in the moment.

My position is now the same as the previous post.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:48 pm

I've never been high in my life, but I've been around lots of stoned people. I'll tell you this--most people think they play better when they're stoned. They don't. I can easily imagine this false confidence transferring to your mixes. Seems like a bad idea to me.

On the other hand, the argument could be made that chemical alteration can have a positive effect on creativity, so if you're gonna do it, at least make sure that you check your mixes while sober every once in a while.

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Post by SaneMan » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:05 pm

How do your mixes sound the next day?

I know exactly what you're talking about, I get way more into music in general when I'm high, and can get really sucked into a mix and think it's the most amazing mix ever. Just turns out that usually I'm wrong, and it really doesn't sound that good when I'm sober.

Can be great for the creative process though. I prefer to write high, record/mix sober. Or do an experimental mix high to get some cool ideas for weird effects and shit, but then go back and do a real mix later.

But hey, if it works, go for it. Everyones different, what works for someone else might not work for you & vice versa. Definately better than mixing drunk though
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. - Carl Jung

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:37 pm

yeah that works for some people. you can also buy a few grams of blow and work for 3 days straight. very efficient. and the session pays for the blow!

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:13 pm

Star gazing can be fun, but don't rely on it, thinking it's the only way you can mix. It may help you forget all the "rules" you've read and "be more creative", but the ability still comes from you. Remember that. With that said... puff puff pass. I got a mix to finish.

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:47 pm

Don't be high and mix stuff. Do what Nick says. I do have a few friends that can function on a high level when they are high, but they are an stark exception and they are Chronics. I honestly believe that they are creative to begin with and get high to deal with their brain, as opposed to someone who thinks they need to be high to become creative. If you are just stating, I just recommend listening to stuff and analyzing what you like. Weed, for me, is great for analyzing what I like about a mix, but I'm glad when I don't have to operate gear in a methodical fashion...
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:52 pm

i would love to have the level of perception of what is going on in a mix that i have stoned, yet actually still have the brain power to make decisions and operate equipment.... but that is not yet a reality for me... so i always mix sober. well, maybe a beer or two in the evening, but never enough to impede my ability to operate my studio.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:04 am

Thanks for all your input. I appreciate it a lot.

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:18 am

Over the years that I've assisted successful and talented mixing engineers, almost all of them smoked weed at some point during the mix, mostly after most of the work was done and all the loose ends had to be tied and vibe had to be correctly verified. I understood this as necessary and beneficial every time. To explain it to someone who doesn't do drugs or has not embraced the idea of getting high to complete a mix is not possible, but I must express that sound is so subjective and personal to everyone, and using weed to attain that lost dimension in your mix by putting your mind in the right place to be closer to the music compliments that subjectivity. Also you may have a room full of clients that are all smoking weed and may be experiencing your mix in a way that you cannot if you are not smoking too, and that sets you apart from the goal of wrapping up the mix completely. On the other hand, some people can't handle weed and should stay away from it until they learn how to use it.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:40 am

yeah, i'm with a lot of you on this topic. i just don't think i'm able to be as objective after i smoke. it might be a crap mix, but it would still sound great.

on the other hand, finishing up some mixes, having a wee smoke, THEN checking out the mixes is a whole other kettle of fish. :suspect:

llamaj
takin' a dinner break

Post by llamaj » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:02 am

about 9 or 10 yrs ago a local band was about to break. they went to Nashville to work with one of the biggest producers/mxers out there.
we all know his name so I wont say who.
he sat the band down and said (according to the lead singer/guitarist) "lets get all of our skeleton's out of the closet. (pulls out a pack of cigarettes and puts it on the console) I like to smoke." they all go around the room saying silly things then it comes back to him. He opens the pack of cigarettes and pulls one out. Says "well i just happen to like to smoke pot"
they said he smoked constantly. the pack was loaded with joints and he smoked almost all of them in one day.

now lets put it into perspective. the record hardly went anywhere and they were a young new band.
so does he do this with all the big names he works with?
probably, if they do
also the band said the studio was brand new owned by a huge country star
with all the gear and an SSL of course
they didnt like the way it sounded.

my personal opinion. (from experience of course)
pot can make you focus on one thing (in the mix maybe) to the extreme. or confuse and (eventually) fatigue your senses. something may sound beautiful on one pass then the next it doesnt do the same thing. The high is constantly changing.
its unpredictable and different for everyone

i believe that anyone can get themselve to a high (and increased senses)without drugs but it takes more work, relaxation, and concentration to do it.

I know a producer in Nashville now who is starting to work with huge names and He uses it just for the creative part and lets someone else mix it.

we can all agree music would not sound or be what it is today without Pot but look at Rick Rubin. He says he doesnt use any drugs. (He looks like he would) and think of all of the great things hes been apart of

Snarky
takin' a dinner break

Post by Snarky » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:46 pm

lyman wrote: on the other hand, finishing up some mixes, having a wee smoke, THEN checking out the mixes is a whole other kettle of fish. :suspect:

www.myspace.com/capitalcitystudjoe

"this rizz in the foldback is bollocks mate."