what % of new music do you think is done on tape?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:24 pm

nick_a wrote:what the craziest thing is is he's a fantastic singer just singing. but like the "T" sound of "tomorrow" wouldn't be right on the beat so they'd either punch it or do some time compression to fix it. i mean we're talking CRAZY.
Wow, what some people call crazy appears to be every day at work for me. I wish we still worked on tape so we didn't have to toil over retarded edits and crossfades all day and actually make music. Before digital hysteria, there was less ADD and OCD and more talent.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:08 pm

I am in the middle of some stuff with Soulive and we are on tape.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:14 am

joel hamilton wrote:I am in the middle of some stuff with Soulive and we are on tape.

Nice!!! I love those guys..Great players.... sweet sounds. What more could you ask for?
Have fun!

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:44 am

www.hymnsband.com

that's tape. and its awesome!
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

Seifer
audio school graduate

Post by Seifer » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:13 pm

Red Rockets Glare wrote:George Massenburg doesn't use tape. For Anything.

ooh we need another snotty catchphrase for this:

"George Massenburg can do it better with a saftey pin and a diaper than MacGyver with a Studer"

Last edited by Seifer on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
what if

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:06 am

Red Rockets Glare wrote:
Tatertot wrote: I am saying that stuff like Wilco, Arcade Fire and other "big" but not "huge" bands are going through tape.
You'd be wrong about the Arcade Fire amigo.
The final mixes of Funeral were done to tape. Also, a lot of the tracking (maybe just the beds) was done to tape as well.

They were totally self-financed and definitely not "big" when they were recording this album though. Still, I'm sure Win likes tape and will probably keep mixing down to it.

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

I like tape...

Post by knobtwirler » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:40 pm

Back when there was only tape and there was never any issue of whether or not to use tape, I liked using tape. As a matter of fact I never thought twice about it because there was no second thought option. But now that digital is everywhere, reliable, sounds good, doesn't have to rewind, has at least 64 tracks and plugins galore, the idea of using tape actually bothers me. When people suggest it my pores start to open and secrete sebum as I think, "why do they want to make things more difficult than they have to be". I really hope the "tape sounds better and it's there so lets use it and then bounce it all to Tools after" is in its d?nouement.

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Re: I like tape...

Post by dokushoka » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:51 pm

knobtwirler wrote:Back when there was only tape and there was never any issue of whether or not to use tape, I liked using tape. As a matter of fact I never thought twice about it because there was no second thought option. But now that digital is everywhere, reliable, sounds good, doesn't have to rewind, has at least 64 tracks and plugins galore, the idea of using tape actually bothers me. When people suggest it my pores start to open and secrete sebum as I think, "why do they want to make things more difficult than they have to be". I really hope the "tape sounds better and it's there so lets use it and then bounce it all to Tools after" is in its d?nouement.
In my experience, sessions done to tape tend to go much more efficiently than those done directly to protools.

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:32 am

Oh I forgot to say that if all there was was a tape machine and we didn't want to make a slave reel, I'm all for it. As far as the protools sessions not going smoothly, I'm sorry for ya.

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:19 am

As far as the protools sessions not going smoothly, I'm sorry for ya.
Its not that they don't go smoothly, just not as efficiently. The performance comes from the performers with tape, not an editor. We're not in the business of making Speilberg films...

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Re: I like tape...

Post by Derrick » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:20 am

knobtwirler wrote:my pores start to open and secrete sebum as I think
Wow, ya might want to get that checked on. Maybe it was the brand tape you used?
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:55 am

dokushoka wrote:
Its not that they don't go smoothly, just not as efficiently. The performance comes from the performers with tape, not an editor. We're not in the business of making Speilberg films...
The efficiency comes from the engineer, not the platform. If it disrupts the efficiency of the session to stop and do an edit, don't. Have the performers play it again.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:58 am

dwlb wrote:
dokushoka wrote:
The efficiency comes from the engineer, not the platform. If it disrupts the efficiency of the session to stop and do an edit, don't. Have the performers play it again.
The fact is, my opinion doesn't matter that much. I work with good players, most of the time, its more that some of them become hyper-focused and begin to over edit. They're paying the bill, so who I am to disagree with how they want their art presented?

scott oliphant
audio school graduate

Post by scott oliphant » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:33 pm

I've noticed a trend amongst boards like this. A lot of those who are digital vehemently defend HD recording, almost to the point of being rude. Why so defensive? We're not trying to convert you back to tape, if you ever used it to begin with. I know a lot of people who still track to tape, and a lot of young people who are outfitting their studios with decks and getting lots of work because of that.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:47 pm

About the vocal editing stuff. I've heard of engineers on the big pop records using a whole 2" reel for just the vocals, 2 tracks of music, 1 track of fax machine noise and 20 tracks of vocals, tons of mute automation. This kind of vocal editing has been hapening for a long time. It's not a side effect of digital recording, it just a lot easier when digital got good enough to use.

About recording schools. I learned how to align, calibrate, clean, demagnitize, run, use, and maintain two different specific tape machines of different brands, at a big time recording school. Please don't generalize one man's opinion as that of every recording school instructor.
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"