Chris (Squire not Garges)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:45 pm

So, my question is: How does Garges consistently achieve that fantastically authoritative tone?

I am still stuck on Tales of Topographic Oceans (as in, not interested). I shall rethink my approach to Yes.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:04 pm

Tatertot wrote:So, my question is: How does Garges consistently achieve that fantastically authoritative tone?
Me talk good sometimes (and distort bass).

CG

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:44 pm

Silverlode wrote:
nipsy wrote:you gotta be kidding me...yes!?!?...

uh, no...........
Wow, nipsy! Thanks for the great input to this thread!

:shake:

dont give me your little shakey eyed blue head thing dude, save your sarcasm for someone who deserves it.....

sorry for rainning on your sacred yes parade....

Jay
Last edited by nipsy on Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silverlode
gettin' sounds

Post by Silverlode » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:29 am

Apology accepted. :^:
y.t. > Silverlode
http://thebside.org

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:29 am

nipsy wrote:
Silverlode wrote:
nipsy wrote:you gotta be kidding me...yes!?!?...

uh, no...........
Wow, nipsy! Thanks for the great input to this thread!

:shake:

dont give me your little blue eyed shakey head thing dude, save your sarcasm for someone who deserves it.....

sorry for rainning on your sacred yes parade....

Jay
Every time someone talks about a band around here, there's always somebody who pipes in with "they suck" or "what could you possibly see in that music?" in some form or another. Sometimes I'm that guy. But it's always pointless and just turns the thread into another flame war. I'm working on just staying off of threads that talk about bands I don't like. We'll see how that goes.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:41 am

dwlb wrote:I'm working on just staying off of threads that talk about bands I don't like. We'll see how that goes.
Or how about just not posting on a thread about a band you don't like.
There's a great thread going on gearslutz right now about Pearl Jam that is simply priceless. It is the epitome of gearslutz.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:08 am

Actually, the thread is about Chris Squire, so who cares what anyone has to say about Yes as a band. Just my opinion.

Anyway, not only is Squire a huge bass talent but his stage presence is phenomenal. He's commanding, he's entertaining, he's authoritative, he's incredibly supportive of his group when performing.

A friend and I were talking about a Yes show he saw once where Jon Anderson slipped and fell onstage, and Squire stepped up to the mic and took over lead vocals of the song until Anderson got back on his feet. That's talent.

Also, FWIW I've always respected him for having the ability to hang in there and adjust from the style of bass he played with the Steve Howe version of Yes to the Trevor Rabin style of Yes. The differences were vast to say the least.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

;ivlunsdystf
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:07 am

I personally enjoy when people post about their dislike for a band, but only if they explain specifically what they don't like. It's not very interesting to read that some dude named mallettime (or whatever, you get the idea) thinks Jerry Garcia was a big fat weasel, but it's quite interesting to read thoughtful posts about overblown lyrics, sloppy drumming, reverb abuse, etc.

One of the best teachers I ever had (high school english and history) always told us to make sure to "B.S.", which stood for "Be Specific".

Anyway, back to Yes, about whom I have no major opinions due to my lack of knowledge thereof.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:07 pm

KennyLusk wrote:A friend and I were talking about a Yes show he saw once where Jon Anderson slipped and fell onstage, and Squire stepped up to the mic and took over lead vocals of the song until Anderson got back on his feet. That's talent.
I saw a guy in some "one of many" cover bands down on Broadway in Nashville do this last summer. It blew my mind. There was nothing great about this band or the guitar player, but when the singer was out for a bar or two, this guy saw it coming and covered it completely.

That sort of thing makes that guy is a total badass in my mind. The MOST IMPORTANT THING in that guy's mind at the time was making sure the music worked. It wasn't what lick he was playing or how many chicks were in the front row or when his next gig was--it was being on top of his game for the sake of the band. That's commitment.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:31 pm

I was once in a band playing a wonderfully sentimental version of "Africa" and during the chorus while I was harmonizing with the bass player, some frustrated rock fan threw a bottle while screaming something nasty about Toto. It hit the bass player in the head and he fell down for two bars at which point I had to carry the chorus alone. I was already singing though, so Im wondering if that counts as real talent.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

the brill bedroom
pushin' record

Post by the brill bedroom » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:50 am

Well, at the very least you have to give props to the guy who threw the bottle. Musical tatse is subjective, but good aim is good aim.
check out what I did on my Otrari 8 track at
http://www.myspace.com/3903599

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:59 am

the brill bedroom wrote:Well, at the very least you have to give props to the guy who threw the bottle. Musical tatse is subjective, but good aim is good aim.

be careful what you write, for the shakey eyed blue head police loom around every post.....

Jay

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:32 pm

soundguy wrote:but what a crazy amazing pop song.
word.

TBPlayer
audio school

Post by TBPlayer » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:06 pm

KennyLusk wrote:A friend and I were talking about a Yes show he saw once where Jon Anderson slipped and fell onstage, and Squire stepped up to the mic and took over lead vocals of the song until Anderson got back on his feet. That's talent.
I remember a video I saw of one of their performances from the 70's where Jon Anderson has a long note that he has to sing - partway through the note he brings one hand up to the middle of his chest and thows a sideways glance at Squire, who, without missing a freakin' beat, steps up to his mic and takes over the note seamlessly.

You're right, Kenny; that is talent.

-Phil

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:42 am

the brill bedroom wrote:Well, at the very least you have to give props to the guy who threw the bottle. Musical tatse is subjective, but good aim is good aim.
HI-Larious!