Coldplay
3%
Yo La Tengo
8%

Total votes: 76

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:58 am

One thing that RH and SY shares is a weak drummer. But Steve Shelly is the much better one.
wtf? Steve Shelley is an amazing drummer! Very good, and more importantly, very cool drumming. He doesn't do a 5.1 rototom roll every 2 measures, if that's what you're looking for in a drummer. He has a propulsive yet comfortable feel that i've always thought was one of sonic youth's greatest assets.

I don't listen to enough Radiohead to comment on their drummer. Although it seems like a lot of their stuff doesn't call for "strong" drumming. I'm sure they didn't have a secret meeting and say, "well, the drumming sucks, so let's create elaborate melancholy synth-scapes."

hauser gabone
gettin' sounds

Post by hauser gabone » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:04 am

yo la tengo!
i'm sitting here in a moustache cause it needs to recharge

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:26 am

what do you have? :)

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:44 pm

Dubious wrote:BSS i cant even listen too... just awful stuck in a time warp 90's indy rock BS
God, thank you.

So pretentious. Wacky sounds for the sake of wacky sounds creating an obliterating cacophonic haze over the music I assume is under there somewhere. Somebody in BSS saw Wilco mic'ing up a vacuum cleaner and decided that was the way to be.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:02 pm

Sonic Youth is by far the best band on that list..

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:23 pm

beard_of_bees wrote:Sonic Youth is by far the best band on that list..
somebody's finally making sense.

I've heard that SY and the Flaming Lips are touring together this summer.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:46 pm

beard_of_bees wrote:Sonic Youth is by far the best band on that list..
While I enjoy Radioheads song writting, from OK Computer on, I think that Sonic Youth has done more for music. The have push boundies with intertwining noise and atonal melodies within rock and popular music, which is not an easy feat.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:14 am

Would any of the other bands on the list even exist if Sonic Youth had not gone before? As for the folks who like radiohead(and to a lesser degree coldplay) I'd suggest Centro-matic. Centro-matic really put those two bands to shame. They don't get much coverage or hype but, they are totally worth looking into. Last, Centro-matic's drummer Matt is worth the price of their records alone if you're a big fan of drums and drum sounds.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:49 am

Centromatic is a great band... but, I don't see that they'd necessarily appeal to the average Radiohead/Coldplay fan... But, if you were into Archers Of Loaf or Crooked Fingers, then you'll probably dig Centromatic.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:14 am

Another vote for Sonic Youth
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:30 am

And if you like Coldplay might I suggest you pick up the new album by The Wallflowers. It's just so edgy and hip.
?Raoul Duke

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:39 am

Caldo71 wrote:And if you like Coldplay might I suggest you pick up the new album by The Wallflowers. It's just so edgy and hip.
hahahahahaha!!

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:11 am

yeah, i'm sitting here at work and the carpenters are listening to some music. it's gotta be the wallflowers, but it's sounds like it was recorded like 40 years ago! jakob dylan sounds a little drunk on it too... i've never heard lyrics like this even on my wallflowers bootlegs....frankly, they make me a little uncomfortable.

wonder what it could be?

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:26 am

thethingwiththestuff wrote:yeah, i'm sitting here at work and the carpenters are listening to some music. it's gotta be the wallflowers, but it's sounds like it was recorded like 40 years ago! jakob dylan sounds a little drunk on it too
Ah, he's all fucked up on PEPSI again!
?Raoul Duke

strangefruit
ass engineer

Post by strangefruit » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:14 am

crow wrote:
One thing that RH and SY shares is a weak drummer. But Steve Shelly is the much better one.
wtf? Steve Shelley is an amazing drummer! Very good, and more importantly, very cool drumming. He doesn't do a 5.1 rototom roll every 2 measures, if that's what you're looking for in a drummer. He has a propulsive yet comfortable feel that i've always thought was one of sonic youth's greatest assets.

I don't listen to enough Radiohead to comment on their drummer. Although it seems like a lot of their stuff doesn't call for "strong" drumming. I'm sure they didn't have a secret meeting and say, "well, the drumming sucks, so let's create elaborate melancholy synth-scapes."

I didn't mean Steve Shelley was a bad drummer. I adore his drumming. I guess in my mind I was comparing him with Neil Pearl, technique wise. But I do really enjoy Steve's work. I guess my point is, it seems just so silly to compare all those bands with Sonic Youth. Sonic Youth is the roots. Would you rather eat a whole wheat organic sandwich or a vaciline-on-toast? I guess a lot of people actually would go for vaciline-on-toast!! Crazy world!