The Room Tuning Bible

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

eb.
ass engineer

The Room Tuning Bible

Post by eb. » Sun May 07, 2006 11:45 pm

I've been looking for a fairly in depth and comprehensive book on the physics of music, as it relates to room tuning. This would be for my brother to read, and he is an engineer, or something like that, so the more technical the better. If anyone has any recommendations I would accept them quite thankfully.

Effigy Studios
audio school graduate

a site//

Post by Effigy Studios » Sun May 07, 2006 11:57 pm

www.goldenacoustics.com/
I would recommend checking this site out on information on Acoustics of rooms...
I am having interns compile information on all of the speakers at the Tapeop Com 2006, if you would like this information when it is complete please email info@effigystudios.com
hiho/n

surf's up
pushin' record

Post by surf's up » Mon May 08, 2006 2:36 am

i like the "master handbook of acoustics" by f. alton everest. it goes over all the aspects of the physics and sound and discusses practical developments for treating rooms. may not be quite as specific as youre looking for though.

myfipie
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by myfipie » Mon May 08, 2006 7:08 am

surf's up wrote:i like the "master handbook of acoustics" by f. alton everest. it goes over all the aspects of the physics and sound and discusses practical developments for treating rooms. may not be quite as specific as youre looking for though.
I go to that book DAILY!

Glenn
GIK Acoustics
www.gikacoustics.com

eb.
ass engineer

so far so good

Post by eb. » Mon May 08, 2006 3:50 pm

Thanks all for the two resources so far. On the golden acoustics site it seems like most of the data relates to the implementation of their specific product. However, I'm sure that there is still a wealth of usable information there. The Everest looks as if it is a step in the right direction for me, as I have been only finding really very general physics of music texts, and it looks like this one is not as technical as I was hoping for, but definitely deals with the right subject matter. I will definitely order it. So far so good.
EVAN
"Tell me what we?re fighting for?
No progress ever came from war,
only a false sense of increase" G-Graffin

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Mon May 08, 2006 5:02 pm

surf's up wrote:i like the "master handbook of acoustics" by f. alton everest. it goes over all the aspects of the physics and sound and discusses practical developments for treating rooms. may not be quite as specific as youre looking for though.
That's a good one.

Tonmeister Technology by Michael Dickretter is good as well...very much from a classical perspective but I thought it explained the physics pretty well.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

philbo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by philbo » Mon May 08, 2006 5:50 pm

+1
________
BBW VIDEOS
Last edited by philbo on Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeatleFred
audio school graduate

Post by BeatleFred » Tue May 09, 2006 5:56 pm

surf's up
pushin' record

Post by surf's up » Wed May 10, 2006 9:29 pm

myfipie wrote:
I go to that book DAILY!

Glenn
yes its a great resource. i have checked it out from the library several times i think i might as well just shell out the bucks and buy it so i can have it with me permanently.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sun May 14, 2006 9:04 pm

I love the Master Handbook of Acoustics. Totally worth owning to have it handy.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

googacky
pushin' record

Post by googacky » Tue May 16, 2006 3:21 am

This book is pretty good, too. It takes quite a bit from the Master Handbook of Acoustics, but is a bit more accessible and has a more visual approach. Perhaps you could read this one and hand the Everest book over to your brother.

Brian

radiationroom
steve albini likes it

Post by radiationroom » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:44 am

F. Alton Everest wrote a book in 1979 called "How To Build A Small Budget Recording Studio From Scratch... with 12 tested designs", published by Tab Books. The budget studio book may be an easier starting point for you in comparason to the Master Handbook of Acoustics since it is less on theory and more on actual working examples. While the actual studios featured would be considered dated by todaze' standards equipment wise (like the radio studio which broadcasts in mono), the laws of physics and enviromental working considerations haven't changed a whole lot since then. I do not know if the book is in print or not, but you probably can find one used at Powell's or Book Search. Also, get yourself the Master Handbook (which at over 600 pages is hardly what I would consider a "handbook") because at some point you are going to want to know "the why's and what's" of some of this stuff, or you will need to solve a problem that is not covered in the Budget Studio book.

Hope this helps!

dirty
steve albini likes it

Post by dirty » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:49 am

F. Alton Everest wrote a book in 1979 called "How To Build A Small Budget Recording Studio From Scratch... with 12 tested designs", published by Tab Books.
Just got this book. You're absolutely right it can sound dated re: equipment, but the construction tips are right on. The designs vary quite a bit, but he talks about all kinds of good stuff: building walls, floating ceilings and floors, bass traps, helmholtz resonators, etc...