what piece of gear do you geuninely wish existed?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joeyjoejoejuniorshabadoo
audio school graduate

THIS IS WHAT I WANT!!!!

Post by joeyjoejoejuniorshabadoo » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:59 pm

I'm going to college to build things like this. Human Computer Interaction.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3853181774

Imagine a touch screen table where you could create and pull all the faders virtual cords build your own recording setup on the fly create keyboards , touch drum pads, knobs, zoom expand rotate what ever your imagination could desire within a Logic Pro type environmentt. Its coming. Apples working on it.

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:44 am

ctmsound wrote:
dokushoka wrote:An analog console that has automation that can follow protools automation data (a la Tonelux) and has fully automated recall on all the eq and sends (motorized). I'll keep dreaming and it will probably never come true.
SSL AWS900. http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/aws900plus.html

bad ass.
That's cool, but how about something more stripped down. Basically like an analog summing bus that let's you keep the signal out of your audio interface at a good healthy level whilst the bus does the volume control per fx envelopes on the tracks. It would be universal by using a special VST plug-in that communicates to a PCI card in the computer (which in turn talks to the auto-summing bus). Also, you could use it to write automation if wanted.

Other things:

* A fully remote controlled mic stand that would let you find the sweet spot from the control room without having to get up, move the mic, go back, and try to remember if it sounds better or not. It would have a little camera on it so you could see what you were doing, and it would let you save positions so you could quickly AB them.

* A stable Linux DAW that works with all audio interfaces and such. I know this is being worked on.

* A simple, stripped down hard drive or flash based recorder to replace DAT. I know there's the Master Link and now some flash based guys, but make it real basic. A digital in (so you can use nice outboard converters), easy to use GUI/file management, Firewire or USB file transfer to the PC.

* Something like the Neve Portico tape emulator, but put some actual magnetic tape in there. It would be like an echoplex sort of. But not used for delay. Just for going on and off tape. You could obviously control how much you saturate it, tape speed, etc.. And you could make the tape loop easily replaceable for when it gets worn down. Not to mention the ability to clean the heads!

so many ideas!
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:56 am

A friend of mine is doing backflips about this thing.

Tha Roland 2480 just turned into a pretty cool unit!

http://www.presonus.com/pr_vfire.html

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:32 am

klangtone wrote:* A stable Linux DAW that works with all audio interfaces and such. I know this is being worked on.
Yes. If I can get past all the dependency and incompatibility probs with Rosegarden, I can finally get rid of Windoze altogether on my music laptop. Yes. Yes.

stevedood
takin' a dinner break

Post by stevedood » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:06 am

mjau wrote:
ubertar wrote:Mine would be a helmet that would create an extremely detailed MRI image of my brain, and record the data so it could be played back in someone else's brain after it was edited and enhanced. No more instruments, mics, preamps, compressors, etc. Just imagine the music and record it.
Well, you could start wearing a helmet around the studio and tell everyone that's what you're doing. And then when they play, just sit back, smile smartly, and go "exactly" while giving a thumbs up.
Exactly!

<-----
(I'm already on track with the helmet thing)

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:27 am

The Easy Button! :wink:

Seriously, a recording booth solution that doesn't cost way over $1K.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:04 pm

I think someone should make a mixer with Soundcraft or better quality pre's that has the following features:
16 ch plus two stereo line only inputs
good parametric eq
direct out post or pre fader on all ch
ADAT light pipe direct out on ch 9-16
talk back
midi transport control
not tiny rack mount but nice to sit at and work
cost around $1000.
This would dove tail with the 002 R and lots of other computer interfaces.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:09 pm

AstroDan wrote:This isn't mixing or recording related, but I wish there was an arppegiator pedal for guitar. I asked a famous pedal maker friend of mine if he could make it, and he said "no". Actually, he isn't a pedal maker or famous or my friend. But get an octave splitter (one up, one down) married to a timed delay, a you would have an arppegiator.
The Boss GT line of pedals has an arppegiator on it. It works, too.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:49 pm

joel hamilton wrote:I would love a piece of gear that convinces people that "perfect" is not hours of editing ITB, or 7 million hours of automating every single fader ITB, or tuning vocals for 9 hours, or eiting drum takes to the grid for 20 hours.

This piece of gear would be called the "emotional engagement box" and it would help to make records that stand the test of time and really engage the listener with the emotional content, and the beauty of organic elements. it would also embrace the beauty of well programmed electronics, in conjunction with an amazing vocal performance, by a person. The box would help quell the fears and insecurities of great musicians and let their actual styles come out of the speakers unfettered. Personality should not be underestimated.
I think that comes in a pill now... or maybe you smoke it...

:)

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

snuffinthepunk
pushin' record

Post by snuffinthepunk » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:06 pm

mwingerski wrote:I would like a touch screen computer to use with pro tools

If I could just move all the crap around on the screen with my hands (or both hands) instead of having to grab a mouse or use keyboard shortcuts, my workflow would speed up about 10 times i think...

because even a control surface is an extra layer between your brain and the program... i think that would be cool for just about any kind of program... sort of like minority report or something...
i'm not totally clear if this is saying what I'm thinking it's saying, but....

http://www.mackie.com/support/FAQ/x200.html#15

I've met a guy who has one of these in his studio, I'll give him a call in a minute and if he's available I'll ask him.

*edit* just gave him a call...not there. buuuut...i bet an email to mackie support could answer this question.
"no dream is worth being underachieved"
I love signal flow.

Imagine the possibilities!

www.primalgear.com

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:19 pm

a usb port on my skull (like ubertars idea). No time to read that book? just download it into your brain. Got a good song idea? download from brain to ipod...fully mixed, mastered and sounding exactly as you had invisioned it. bad childhood memory ( or from last night) ? No problem, download to disc and delete system files.

on a more practical note: A hollow Marshall 4x12 cabinet with a cooler inside and a drain on the bottom. playing a club where they only give you two drink tickets? No problem with the "Cooler Cab" TM. Just wheel that baby in with the rest of your gear, "never mind that sloshing ice and beer bottle sound mr bar owner, this is just our gear!" then party the night away without forking over $9 for a bud lite served from a moldy tap line. lame battle of the band type sportsbars could have em in the bar, chillin their jello shots or whatever. im gonna sell a million of those cabs some day.

guitar pics with "lo-jack" like gps tracking systems...you'll never loose another guitar pick! This $2000 dollar satellite operated tracking implant will insure the saftey of and locational reliability of your 25 cent guitar pick for ever more.

portable mini disc recorder with a digital friggin out...wtf?

a real life giant hook for opening bands that overplay their welcome. This hook would simnultaneously snare all band member AND their gear and drag them neatly out of the bar and to the curb despite any complaints of "just two more songs!!!" from the band.
me make purty musick!

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:45 pm

chovie d wrote: portable mini disc recorder with a digital friggin out...wtf?
That's got to be one of those RIAA concessions.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:57 pm

Tatertot wrote:
chovie d wrote: portable mini disc recorder with a digital friggin out...wtf?
That's got to be one of those RIAA concessions.
That exists! like, every single MD made by sony has the little optical out on it, that you need a weirdo cable to go to "normal" lightpipe. it is optical spdif. Works really well.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:39 pm

I think you mean optical 'in'. Or, I never knew that the little white jack can be used as an output.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:03 pm

Yes its "optical in" only on all the ones Ive ever seen. So when you record your Mariah Carey discs to mini disc it separates the tracks so you can skip the "non-ballads" :lol: . But to record out, its mini-jack city. word.

I wont rest until i have my hook and my "cooler cab"!
Okay thats a lie, Im gonna go rest now i think...
me make purty musick!