Channel Strips

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drummerdan
gettin' sounds

Channel Strips

Post by drummerdan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:37 pm

I just got a huge mixer with modular channel strips for free. I wanted to see if anyone had any good links where I could get more info on making them into standalone preamps. I'm pretty handy with electrical stuff but I rather read up first before I smoke some of these strips. Plus I've never done this before. Thanks -Dan

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:05 pm

gotta tell us what kind of mixer it is first, then we give up the goods!
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

drummerdan
gettin' sounds

Post by drummerdan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:04 pm

Its made by Tangent. Its a huge live sound board. Since posting, I took out a strip and noted what I believed to be the important stuff: Which pins are the inputs and the send, and which pins are the power (I pulled the power supply also). With my schematic and parts I'm going to solder it together, power it up, and see if I get signal in from a mic and out to tape. Any red flags here? I wonder about the supply driving 1 strip, when it used to drive 16. Also, will removing the fader (it has a modular jack to the pre board) case any issues? My biggest question is: The ground coming off the power supply (transformed voltage side) seems to go to the ground on the headphone jack. Where should I put it now? The other 2 lines are +15 and -15 if that helps at all.

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:38 pm

There should be three "rails" into the modules. +15, -15 and "0V" (aka common or audio ground). I found some Tangent schemos in my files apparently for a 1202 mixer and it shows the individual rails going into the module, I guess that connection to the headphone jack was for the main common point connection to the chassis.

I wouldn't worry about the power supply being underloaded.

Bri
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.brianroth.com/

drummerdan
gettin' sounds

Post by drummerdan » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:02 pm

Each channel strip has 10 pins that had the "rail" connected to them. Pins 7, 8, and 9 were connected to the power supply at +24 +15 -15 in that order. The +24 was connected to the phantom on/off switch.
Where should I put the ground that was on the headphone jack? What should be my new common point?