latest vintage key plugins vs. real things

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:51 pm

i must've listened to the wrong one. Ha! Destroyed my credibility already and I wasn't even wrong yet! I listened to like 30 seconds and didn't hear any keys so I skipped to the next one that has that reed sound.

What's on that track?

PS the wurli doesn't sound real to me either. Sounds good though! Certainly wouldn't kick it out of bed but it just doesn't sound like a wurli to me. Again, I can't wait to find out i'm wrong.

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:08 pm

It's the real thing, recorded on this gear...
http://www.mississippistudios.com/recording.htm

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:16 pm

Huh. Just listened to that second track. I didn't play on that one, probably the singer did it himself with a keyboard.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:44 pm

sweet! Full of it as usual, I am.
Last edited by ??????? on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:55 pm

hey man, don't sweat it. I think we just proved the point...it's an incidental part mixed really low...because that's what that song wanted. It was hardly "Goodbye Stranger" by Supertramp!

I think the thing that rings truest among all this observations is that I think you're more likely to be inspired to write by the real things. I have one of those Yamaha CP80 electric acoustic pianos in my bedroom studio, and even though it's a little out of tune, it's what I play, while the synths don't get turned on for days.

Jeff Roberts
studio intern

Post by Jeff Roberts » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:33 pm

I love the smell of Hammond oil on a summer day. It's the real thing babeeeeee!

Think of yer Hammond as roughly 500 pounds of vintage inspiration.

And for wurlies, 200s are OK, but the older units with the wood cases, like the 140B have the magic, crunch, and better dynamic range. Mojo for days.

Could a virtual keyboard fill a room with the 3D sound of a Stereo Fender Rhodes suitcase model? The player is inside a ball of pulsating music!

So I'm a dinosaur. 4 Hammonds, 3 leslies, 2 wurlies (200A & 140B), Fender Rhodes suitcase, Schimmel Grand piano, plate reverb, AKG BX10, MCI JH24, and amps galore.

Emulations are not encouraged at my studio.
Jeff Roberts
Latch Lake Music
Eagan, MN
LatchLakeMusic.com

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:10 pm

Jeff Roberts wrote:I love the smell of Hammond oil on a summer day. It's the real thing babeeeeee!

Think of yer Hammond as roughly 500 pounds of vintage inspiration.

And for wurlies, 200s are OK, but the older units with the wood cases, like the 140B have the magic, crunch, and better dynamic range. Mojo for days.

Could a virtual keyboard fill a room with the 3D sound of a Stereo Fender Rhodes suitcase model? The player is inside a ball of pulsating music!

So I'm a dinosaur. 4 Hammonds, 3 leslies, 2 wurlies (200A & 140B), Fender Rhodes suitcase, Schimmel Grand piano, plate reverb, AKG BX10, MCI JH24, and amps galore.

Emulations are not encouraged at my studio.
I like your style. On my last record we didn't use fake anything. Not even fake reverb... all reverb was done by re-amping signals into two spaced mics and sending it back to the board. Long live real shit!