M/S techniques

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

shakestheclown
takin' a dinner break

M/S techniques

Post by shakestheclown » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Can this be done with 3 cardioid mics?

Maybe phase reverse one of the "side" mics?

parlormusic
pushin' record

Post by parlormusic » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:20 am

I'm sure it can. Never tried it though. I wonder if it'd be as effective due to the cardioids having a wider pickup area compared to a figure-8. I would think that you'd have some phase issues since the diaphrams will have some distance between them with the side mics.
Knowledge is power...ONLY IF IT IS APPLIED!

Find the Lowest Prices on the NET & Get Paid to Shop!
www.grobux.com/register/11395

wiggins
alignin' 24-trk

Post by wiggins » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:47 am

From what I've read, and what I've been told, no, it won't. Or, at least it won't be M-S. It'd be something different. Not to mention more difficult than using a perfectly fine X-Y pattern.

The side-rejection of the figure-8 pattern is what allows this to work, I think. Rejection on cardoid patterns is not as strong, so you'll be having 2 'side' channels with a lot of 'mid' information in them.

If you don't have any figure-8 mics, just use X-Y, or ORTF until you can get one. There really isn't that big of a difference. I had to wait, too. I was so excited when I found out how M-S worked that I wanted to make it work without the right equipment, too. Now I'm doing the same thing with Blumlein (which I think sounds better for most of the applications on which I used M-S, and is easier) - and I have to wait for 2 matched figure 8 mics.

It sure is fun when you're able to use it, though.

Here's some good information about it. Scroll down at your leisure.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:15 pm

I have nothing to add but to say that shakes the clown is one of my favorite movies. . .
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:38 pm

You can create a very close approximation to a figure-8 by putting two cardioids back-to-back and then changing the polarity (aka "flipping the phase") on one of them. Works plenty well enough for fooling around with M/S techniques. Just try to position the two mics such that their diaphragms are in the same plane.

heylow
george martin

Re: M/S techniques

Post by heylow » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:43 pm

shakestheclown wrote:Can this be done with 3 cardioid mics?

Maybe phase reverse one of the "side" mics?
Yo....if you search the forums a bit, I believe "professor (jeremy)" did a very well informed presentation of exactly this concept. Shouldn't be too tough to find....someone less lazy than I might even be inclined to find the link for you.

heylow

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:20 pm

I seem to recall posting something about that - and I don't care to retype it or find it, but it's out there.

The short answer is, Yes, you can create an M/S setup with three cardioids.
Indeed, that's how it is done in most M/S stereo mics. And a multi-pattern mic is made by placing two cardioids back-to-back - they are cardioid when one is turned off, omni when the two are summed, and fig-8 when one is inverted & they are summed.

-Jeremy

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:18 am

Professor wrote:I seem to recall posting something about that - and I don't care to retype it or find it, but it's out there.
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=34147