waveforms that go down

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

altoidboy
alignin' 24-trk

waveforms that go down

Post by altoidboy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:58 pm

stupid paranoid question here. i did some drum tracking. when i zoom into the waveforms, on EVERY hit, the waveform starts by going down before it goes up.

here's a graphic of the three groups of mics - room, overhead, and direct mic. all three follow this pattern exactly.

does it make any difference? should i flip phase on everything?

Image[/img]

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:51 pm

I wouldn't worry about it.

It's when one mic does that, and all the others go the other way that you run into problems.

My question for you: did you shift the tracks so they all line up? I'd expect the overheads and room to each be a little later than the direct mic.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:26 am

If you think about how a typical mic is wired, where a compression at the capsule yeilds a positive going voltage, and a rarefaction a negative voltage, then it's actually the expected waveform, I'd surmise. That is, then the stick hits the drum it initially pushes the head away from the capsule, creating a rarefaction. So I'd expect to see this in all cases of snare and toms mic'd on the top head. Inside the kick or out in front of it I'd expect the opposite.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.