Electric Pianos.. ideas?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cartermnyc
audio school

Electric Pianos.. ideas?

Post by cartermnyc » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:16 am

Hey guys, I just got a yamaha cp-70B and am curious as to the recording techniques various artists have been using. I see bands like Album Leaf, Sigur Ros, and (*sigh*) Keane using them these days. Does anyone know how they go about getting the lo fi and hi fi sounds? Is it through an AMP? A DI? Any input/tips/tricks/ that you know of would be greatly helpful. Thanks again!
-Carter
www.DovecoteRecords.com

acjetnut
pushin' record

Post by acjetnut » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:43 am

I have recorded keys through a di, and it sounds fantastic! Where a bass or guitar gain some tone and body through an amp, i find that a keyboard loses some, unless you have a very nice, dedicated amp.

Besides, once you have it tracked through a DI, you can always pickup a reamp box and go nuts with the thing.

ps The other day i recorded a keyboard though my big muff pedal into a DI, and it sounds like a wailing guitar solo.

cartermnyc
audio school

Post by cartermnyc » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:13 am

yeah good call, i mean i just didnt know if there was like a standard way of recording them. I guess i'll find out.
Thanks again
-C

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:12 am

I've wanted one of those for years...nice score, and good luck!

rastro2
audio school graduate

Post by rastro2 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:35 pm

Those are great. Mine's currently on loan to a friend ('cause of space limitations).
It's pretty standard to record them direct in stereo--the stereo tremelo is quite nice. For the classic Simple Minds/Peter Gabriel sound, add some chorusing. The effects loop is very handy, so feel free to go nuts with effects! I once saw Roger Miller of Mission of Burma do a solo show with just a CP70, and he was sticking nuts & coins in the strings for percussive sounds, and getting pitch bends using an analog delay! Hours of fun!