Recording of Tim Commerford's Bass on "Evil Empire"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Resonant Alien
audio school

Recording of Tim Commerford's Bass on "Evil Empire"

Post by Resonant Alien » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:15 am

Hi all - just joined up on this board.

Anyone know the signal chain used to record Tim C's bass on Rage Against The Machine's "Evil Empire" album?

Quest Poetics
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Quest Poetics » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:39 am

I'm curious myself...I loved the sound of that record...It really grew on me to eventually become my favorite of theirs...Too bad about audio slave because they are capable of so much better...Oh well...

Peace
www.rhymeandmelody.com

Podcast where we review gear as well as drop Guitars / Beatboxing / Freestyle rhyme one week and the following episode you hear the fully produced track.

Peace and keep recording!!!

wiggins
alignin' 24-trk

Post by wiggins » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:46 am

This is just hearsay, but I hear from my friend who is one of those nerds on talkbass.com that Tim is really really secretive about details of his rig. There's talk of him custom-winding his pickups, etc. I've also heard he runs 2 amps, and 2 SVT cabs, one clean, one dirty and blends them to taste.

Whatever he did though, it sounds incredible. I think that album is incredible, in general, but his bass tone really is the shining star as far as tone is concerned.

Compared to Tom Morello's 80's sub-jcm900 marshall. Blech.

Can't find a "vomit" smiley. Use your imagination.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:58 am

Sound Campaign wrote:Too bad about audio slave because they are capable of so much better...Oh well...

Peace
i'm with you. that band has such unbelievable potential. such a waste.

love Evil Empire by the way. not as much as the first album, but a great sophmore record for sure. "Bulls On Parade" was one of the first songs i learned on guitar.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

d-bolan
gettin' sounds

Post by d-bolan » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:59 am

That whole record is amazing. Even the JCM 900, which sounds great. I remember hearing that Zach sang into a hand-held 58, and a lot of it was done live at their practice space. Not sure about the bass, but I'd love to know.
call me rabbit fighter

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:20 am

wiggins wrote:I've also heard he runs 2 amps, and 2 SVT cabs, one clean, one dirty and blends them to taste.
I was the Protools guy on an Audioslave live radio performance a few years ago and the bass player was running two rigs. One clean, one with effects. I can't remember but it could've been two SVT heads. I believe there was one 8x10 and a 2x15 cabinet. You couldn't stand to be in the room with him, it was deafening. That drummer is awesome too. Very solid.

shawn

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:24 pm

yea, man does his tone sound amazing! he has some frankenstein'ed fender bass, custom wound pickups that he wound himself, uses 2 rigs, made his own custom pedal as well i think. some guy on talkbass joked he probably mined the ore used for the pickups himself! :D
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo