The "Cost" of Pro Tools Compatibility

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:59 pm

I am not taking sides in this argument, but can't you use digi hardware with non-digi software ie: take a digi002 and record into Nuendo? If so, you could get a digi unit to be compatable with so called "pro studios" and run your software of choice for projects that aren't going to outside facilities. Now the quality of digi's hardware vs. competitors is certainly up for debate but I don't want to get into that.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:03 pm

syrupcore wrote:
emrr wrote: I also managed to avoid ever paying for that piece-of-#^%$ DAT format years ago. Never owned one.
you do own 5 adats though... :)
Have you ever had adats repaired? It's cheaper to buy spares. Especially if you plan on playing back old sessions, you still need them. I'll argue that ADAT was a better and more reliable format than DAT any day you want to ask.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:48 am

dwlb wrote:
Carli wrote: SDII is technically Digidesign's propriatary file format,.
Which ProTools abandoned at the last upgrade.
Really? I haven't upgraded to PT7 yet, so I hadn't heard about this. It's gotta still read SDII files, for old session compatibility, right? What is the extent of this abandonment?

Is there another format that lets you export region definitions within the file?

I guess I'll go UTFSF over at digidesign.com...

Leigh