RE 20 Shockmount

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

amishsixstringer
takin' a dinner break

RE 20 Shockmount

Post by amishsixstringer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:58 pm

I don't own a shockmount for this RE20, but I have worked with them in the past and know that they are extremely too big for kick drum micing applications. Most kick drum mics don't have a shockmount, but I would like to know if anyone uses an alternative mount to the bulky one that is made for it. 100 bucks just seems like a lot for a shockmount that I can really only use on vocals. It probably doesn't even really need one, but since one exists there's this mental need for it. Thanks in advance.

Neil

ToddP
audio school graduate

Re: RE 20 Shockmount

Post by ToddP » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:27 am

amishsixstringer wrote: It probably doesn't even really need one, but since one exists there's this mental need for it. Thanks in advance.

Neil
Get over the "mental need." The shockmount exists mainly for broadcast, so it doesn't couple to the spring loaded booms and make noise when someone grabs the boom to move it. The stand mount is perfectly fine for recording applications. Even on vocals. Since it is a moving coil dynamic, it really won't pick up enough "rumble" to make a difference IMO.

Maybe someone else has a different experience?

amishsixstringer
takin' a dinner break

Post by amishsixstringer » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:52 am

I haven't actually noticed any rumble that it has picked up at all, but since I've never put it on a shock it's hard to tell. I think I'll save my 100 bucks and put it towards some api pres. They're more fun than a shockmount anyhow. Thanks

Neil

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:45 am

I found that the shockmount that came with a Rode NT1 (which since broke!) works great for the RE-20.

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut