Recording on an iPod?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ken
gimme a little kick & snare

Recording on an iPod?

Post by Ken » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:46 pm

So here is my idea. I'd go buy an iPod, listen to music on it, but also....record music on it!!

But of course, it should be convenient AND sound decent.

I just want to record band rehearsals and that kind of thing, so I'm not expecting to be David Parsons and make stunning field recordings. But you know, something listenable that is good and clear and full.

I've found this so far:

Belkins TuneTalk - has built-in mic or you can stick an external mic into it.
iKey Plusmore expensive, external mic only (does not have a mic). Would this sound better than the TuneTalk?

Also, I'm open to non-iPod thingies if they are much better, but thought if iPod because it's ubiquitous with this kind of thing and because I use iTunes a lot already.

Ideas? Caveats?

Thanks.

toddjal
gettin' sounds

Post by toddjal » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:39 am

Or you could just install iPod Linux on it. http://www.ipodlinux.org/Main_Page I have a battery powered electret I plug into my 4gen iPod, boot it in linux mode, and record at up to 96k/16bit wav for rehearsals and jams. Technically you could even use one of the white headphones but it's worth it for a decent mic. When I Plug it into the computer I can just drag the files anywhere I want. The linux code bypasses the origional 8kHz frequency limit put on by apple when they were worried that they'd get sued if people pirated shows with iTalks etc. Stereo is only possible if you wired up a dock adapter and had your own outboard pre's though.

Todd
www.toddjal.com

Angie
gettin' sounds

Post by Angie » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:22 am

Be aware that the TuneTalk and the iTalk do not work on all iPod models. They'd only be mono also.

The iKey looks pretty cool.

Ken
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Ken » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:05 am

Thanks for the tips. I haven't purchased my iPod yet, so I'd get whatever one is compatible with whichever one of these items I get (which I believe is the 5G Video iPod? Don't quote me on this please!! <g>).

And yeah, I'll probably want stereo because I may want to create a little separation between the instruments/vocals if going line in from one of my mixers (this is apart from simply recording with the iKey or Belkin, obviously). Too bad, since that Linux thing seems like a cool, er, modification. I had come across that somewhere yesterday on some "hack" site, although some iPod users seemed to be having difficulty with that mod.

If anyone else wants to help bring me into the 21st Century (I've never owned an iPod or a cell phone before, and am using Digi001 albeit with much better converters), lay some advice on me!!! Thanks.
Last edited by Ken on Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

jayf
gettin' sounds

Post by jayf » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:38 am

I have an iRiver H-120, which I got a few years ago for recording--it records WAVs at 44k / 16bit, plus can record direct to mp3 format. It works great--I use it all the time for simple field recording and also for quick demos when ideas strike.

Unfortunately, iRiver doesn't make this model or anything quite like it now. But, if you saw a used one (there's also a H-140 that has 40GB of storage), it'd be an option.

Note: these iRiver's are more bulky and less cool than current iPods!

Also, besides iPodLinux, take a look at the Rockbox site for other players that can run open source firmware. Rockbox adds a lot of nice features to many players--I'll probably upgrade my iRiver with Rockbox once it's more stable.
Pee-wee: [falls off bike after attempting tricks] I meant to do that!

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:39 pm

jayf wrote:Also, besides iPodLinux, take a look at the Rockbox site for other players that can run open source firmware. Rockbox adds a lot of nice features to many players--I'll probably upgrade my iRiver with Rockbox once it's more stable.
I'm sporting an Archos Jukebox Recorder V2 running rockbox. I love rockbox. Its so hot that there're still updates being released. Sounds great, plays tetris. Awesome for field recording.