learning to build & mod

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Kasey
pushin' record

learning to build & mod

Post by Kasey » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:46 pm

i am an absolute beginner, but i would really like to start learning the inner workings of the audio equipment I use all the time, and how to build and modify them. I'm currently reading "electronics for dummies" in the local bookstore every day after work. I'm really just trying to gain an understanding of these things - what resistors do, what capacitors do, potentiometers, IC's, etc.

so, once I've finished that book front to back two or three times, I'll probably start some other book (any suggestions?). I figure I'll start by building a simple fuzz box, then modify an altec 1566, and then possibly tackle the hamptone preamp. Currently I'm mainly interested in preamps, but eventually i'd like to learn how to build and mod microphones and compressors, etc.

does this sound like a good way to go? any suggestions? am i trying to do too much too fast? thank you.

toddjal
gettin' sounds

Post by toddjal » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:40 pm

Check the "Some stuff to read..." sticky at the top of the DIY forum page. Building cables is a good way to learn how to solder. Kits unfortunately don't often teach you what each part of the circuit does. That was my stumbling block. I'm only now starting to understand the odd thing here and there about why this cap is here and that resistor there. Looks like a lifetime learning curve if you're not gonna jump into a degree on it.

good luck

chrispy
audio school

Post by chrispy » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:53 am

Do go through the book recommendations in the sticky. You may want to go next to Craig Anderton's book: "Electronic Projects for Musicians".

rydaken
pushin' record

Post by rydaken » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:38 am

I agree "Electronics Projects For Musicians" is great. The projects are kinda cheesy, but they really are a good foundation. I still use my mic pre in a pinch, never got around to making that ring modulator, but my bass fuzz makes me new friends everytime I pull it out. I have an old copy, that suggests you put the projects into "Vector" packs (looks like an api lunchbox) and came with a flimsy vinyl record with sound samples. The new ones suggest project boxes, and come with a cd.

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:53 am

Hello, Kasey! I began "hacking around" with electronics when my AGE was in the single-digits <g>. At 50-something now, I am still in the learning process!

The first thing to master are the basics of electronics...AND how to construct "something". I admit it took me a few years just to master the art of soldering circuits that were reliable!! (I now am ashamed of what I suspect that I sold to my friends in High Screwl ! I don't know that any "Roth-Fuzz" stompboxes, circa 1970. still survive!!!)

Step One.....learn good soldering techniques. As mentioned earlier, building simple cables is a good starting point. If your construction skills are "wobbly", then you are wasting some time on more complex projects.

As for me, I did build a LOT of kits back in the 60's/70's, and those honed my skills. A few years later, I worked with some guys who had training in the military services who also taught me some techniques.

I have "half of a mind" (just ask Debbie..SHE says I only have "half a mind"...LOL!) to make up some basic DVD "tapes" of tools and techniques that could be useful to newbies.

But, not wanting to spend any time on video production "how to..." if everyone is already up-to-speed....

Bri
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.brianroth.com/

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:23 pm

yeah, just about 2 years ago I started modifying Boss distortion boxes, and troubleshooting/fixing chorus pedals, etc.. It was some good learning because you can get some of those distortions on Ebay for like $15, so who cares if you destroy it. You learn a lot by switching out caps and resistors and hearing what is happening, then couple that with any reading materials you can get your hands on about basic electronic circuits, etc, and you've got a good start. I've been stalled for a while now, but I've got some pedals I'll be making from scratch soon, and then I need to mod my Alesis 3630 as well... Maybe buy one of those little starter kits from Radioshack and screw around with them. Find a simple IC based pre-amp or something, and just go from there. The more you do, the more you learn. But I can't stress enough, READ READ READ. By the sounds you're in the right direction by stopping by the store after work every day. Also, forums like this, and any other ones you'll find by searching DIY on google help tons. Not to mention good ole' Brian here, he's basically an electronic book in human form.. Such a good resource.

Good luck!
off somewhere listening.