Favorite used electric guitar under $400?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:04 am

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:G&L Tributes (any model), they're almost under 400 new, and they kick ass for the price.
+ 1

They're unbelievable for the price- I like them better than the current US made Fenders.

The parts and general assembly are Korean; pickups are American (same as the regular G&L) and setup is done in the US.

Got my ASAT Special for $450 new....

jcooke
gettin' sounds

Post by jcooke » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:22 am

Thanks for all of the info. I was thinking of getting something to supplement the basic sounds that I get now out of a strat, tele, and epiphone les paul.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks,
jcooke

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:31 am

I got both of my G&L's for $400 a piece at guitar stores, of all places. The Asat was perfect, and the Legacy was road worn, but plays amazing. Both are my fave recording guitars, along with my japanese strat.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:43 am

It would help if we knew what style you're wanting, and if this is just for you, or for general use in a studio.

pineyb
alignin' 24-trk

Post by pineyb » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:53 am

All of the G&L stuff.... high end to low end is great..... The Ibanez Roadstars +1..... If you want wierd, there are some cheap, really ugly Kay and Harmony solid bodies out there still....look for the big chrome humbucker sized pickup with the smooth top.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:59 am

jcooke wrote:I was thinking of getting something to supplement the basic sounds that I get now out of a strat, tele, and epiphone les paul.
Some will see this as sacrelige, but if you are looking for a guitar that can supplement other guitars in recordings, my personal advice is to get a Line6 Variax, simply because of its versatility. Granted, each individual sound isn't as good as "the real thing," but in a supplemental role I see the versatility of the Variax as a HUGE strength.

I honestly do think this guitar sounds good. I could be nuts, though....

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:29 pm

Fernandes is making some very nice guitars.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jcooke
gettin' sounds

Post by jcooke » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:35 pm

I play rock music in the vein of neil young, tom petty, ween, pavement. What I meant by supplementing my sound was to have a different sounding guitar. I have the bases covered with the strat, tele, and les paul. I love those sounds but I'm curious as to what else is out there. Everyone has favorite cheap mics, cheap amps, etc. I was wondering what some people were using as far as cheap guitars. For instance, I know someone that was into the lipstick pickup danelectro guitars from a few years ago.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:37 pm

Since the discussion is drifting to super cheap (but worthwhile) guitars:

First Act has some high end models but also sells new guitars in Walmart and other department stores for 180 bucks new. I bought one used for 70 bucks (I love Froogle.com) because Paul Westerberg had been using the same model live (until they designed a sig model for him). Replaced the crap tuning pegs with grovers (30 bucks) and its a sweet rocker. Light, plays great, sounds great, sunburst, two humbuckers... I like it.

If it's good enough for one of the Replacements it's good enough for me. Definitely worth much more than the purchase price.

rydaken
pushin' record

Post by rydaken » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:51 pm

I love my Teisco Del Rey EP-7. It has a hollow body, but 3/4 size (so it's not so big). I have several Teisco's, actually, and I love them all for different reasons. Kent made a cool guitar, too. There are some cool things by Kay, Silvertone, Harmony, and many others without names. You could probably get one of each for $400, I've rarely paid over $100 for any of them.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:24 pm

The Epiphone Genesis and Genesis II (if you can find them) are absolute mojo.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:40 pm

Well, for not much more than $400 street $ you can get one of the faded Gibson series guitars. These guitars are worth twice the price when compared to similar US Fenders or other brands. I own the Faded V and totally rocks! Cost $450. I have friends with the Faded SGs and Doublecut Les Pauls. They love them! Those also can be found for around the same price. No need to replace the awesome Gibson pickups or really do any upgrades unlike on my other guitars both US and foreign made.

jcooke
gettin' sounds

Post by jcooke » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:31 am

What's the deal with the faded gibson guitars? Why are they cheaper than the regular ones?

thanks,
jcooke

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:21 am

jcooke wrote:I play rock music in the vein of neil young, tom petty, ween, pavement. What I meant by supplementing my sound was to have a different sounding guitar. I have the bases covered with the strat, tele, and les paul. I love those sounds but I'm curious as to what else is out there. Everyone has favorite cheap mics, cheap amps, etc. I was wondering what some people were using as far as cheap guitars. For instance, I know someone that was into the lipstick pickup danelectro guitars from a few years ago.
I was going to say that, the Danelectro reissues have a different sound than the "big three" you already have. There's a model w/ three lipstick pickups and a 6-way rotary selector- that's a good one. Keep your eyes out, as prices/demand seem to be coming down now.

Also go try a resonator guitar, or a 12 string. There are bargain 12-strings out there but I don't know which are worth the money- perhaps someone else could chime in here?
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:28 pm

hagstrom II's ad III's are cool with uber thin necks
early 80's fender bullets
late 60's yamaha sg-2 or sg-3
mid 70's japanese off brand bound hollowbodies-hondo, kawai, etc.
guild s-300's are sometimes under 400
supro resoglass guitars like the belmont and martinique can be cheap.
framus solidbodies from the late 60's