My New Toy

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:44 am

Chris, you finally got one. Nice. Good things come to those who wait.

Loving the Federal comp. Looks great next to my SHMC.

shawn

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:48 am

Shawn1272 wrote:Chris, you finally got one. Nice. Good things come to those who wait.

Loving the Federal comp. Looks great next to my SHMC.
I love that on a mix today I used a Federal, a GML, a Manley Variable MU, an SSL, a 161, a Distressor, and an LA2A. That's an alright compressor collection. And the Vocal Stresser sat unused.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:22 pm

cgarges wrote:
mjau wrote:If I may be so simple to ask, what's so special about the GML?
I'll bring it with me the next time I have a chance to do something at Tony's place.
Sounds like a plan to me! :D Careful though. I might tell you to look at the GTQ2 while I hide the GML!
cgarges wrote:If you want to sort of hear what it does, get Tony to play you some of the Griffy Rhodes disc. That's the only compressor on the lead vocal. We didn't use any compression in the tracking stage and it was nailing a good 8-10dB on the loud stuff during the mix.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Its really smooooth.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:09 pm

drumsound wrote:Sounds like a plan to me! :D Careful though. I might tell you to look at the GTQ2 while I hide the GML!
Well, at least while you're hiding the GML, I might have time to swipe your Slingerland snare and that Leedy bass drum. I'll probably try for your Syndrums, too.

I should just say that Jeff Warren at GML has been AWESOME. I've been corresponding with him about the service history of this unit and he's been really terrific. Sent me a new replacement knob cap for the timing control (free) and has given me a list of three potential issues with various versions of the GML compressor and their preventative measures.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:22 pm

Sell me the vocal stressor....

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:12 am

joel hamilton wrote:Sell me the vocal stressor....
I'll trade it for a stereo Compex (with transformers) or possibly an original LA3A.

Chris Garges

Charlotte, NC

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:15 pm

I used one of those for a few years ago and was immensely confused.. I never really understood the control set on it.
For those of us who have trouble wrapping the brain around it (me), can you explain the practical theory behind the crest factor and the hysteresis controls?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:48 am

cgarges wrote:
drumsound wrote:Sounds like a plan to me! :D Careful though. I might tell you to look at the GTQ2 while I hide the GML!
Well, at least while you're hiding the GML, I might have time to swipe your Slingerland snare and that Leedy bass drum. I'll probably try for your Syndrums, too.

I should just say that Jeff Warren at GML has been AWESOME. I've been corresponding with him about the service history of this unit and he's been really terrific. Sent me a new replacement knob cap for the timing control (free) and has given me a list of three potential issues with various versions of the GML compressor and their preventative measures.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

:rofl:

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:33 pm

power supply.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:27 pm

trodden wrote:power supply.
Address?

CG

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:31 pm

mwingerski wrote:For those of us who have trouble wrapping the brain around it (me), can you explain the practical theory behind the crest factor and the hysteresis controls?
The release hysteresis, as I understand it, is sort of an adjustment between linear and logarithmic release curves. I believe it behaves differently for the different detectors, depending on how they're set. The crest factor controls are essentially threshold controls for the fast RMS and peak detectors. Their behavior is also dependent on the timing control and threshold control. In addition, the function of the threshold control changes pretty drastically once the unit is put into "fixed ratio mode."

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

gregnrom
takin' a dinner break

Post by gregnrom » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:47 pm

Nice picture.

Congratulations!
That is the best compressor!
Once I realized how to use it, is has been my favorite thing ever.
Greg Norman
www.electricalaudio.com
Music I've recorded
www.normaphone.com
me me me me me

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:28 pm

gregnrom wrote:Nice picture.
Why, what ever do you mean, Greg?

Thanks for helping me set it up. I totally fell in love with it on that session.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

ToddP
audio school graduate

Post by ToddP » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:44 pm

mwingerski wrote:I used one of those for a few years ago and was immensely confused.. I never really understood the control set on it.
For those of us who have trouble wrapping the brain around it (me), can you explain the practical theory behind the crest factor and the hysteresis controls?
Try this link: http://www.massenburg.com/cgi-bin/ml/8900ref.html

It explains all the controls (with diagrams, too).